Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Standalone, what do you have and how do you like it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 12:45 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Standalone, what do you have and how do you like it???

With my latest project, the 949 sequential turbo setup, I'm planning on goint to standalone. I really don't think the DME/KLR is up to the task of controlling a sequential turbo setup accurately. As much as I'd like to have a MAF for airflow monitoring, the layout doesn't really permit it without getting nasy on plumbing. I'll pretty much have to go MAP to ease tuning and installation. Most if not all standalones are MAP based anyway. I have a laptop now so that shouldn't be a deciding factor. I'm not a big electronics or computer guy so please consider that(if it matters). I have looked at standaole before(when planning the 951 swap)I have no units that I'm considering at this point tho. Fab work for brackets, sensors and whatnot really isn't a problem to me.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:53 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Chris White for a Tec III setup. I have talked to him and some of his customers, all his customers rave about him.

Make sure you are seated, it isnt cheap.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:03 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, comming from a P-car guy that knows P-car prices, advising me to be seated. I'm not liking this system already, lol. I need to do some shopping first off, I was just wondering what people have, possibly have a base program written? I'll check out the Tec III as well as others, I'm thinking someone was running a Haltec
Old 01-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Matt H
Race Director

The main problem is that none of the aftermarket EFI setups are designed to run with the sensors on the 944. It will require trigger wheels like the package that Clewitt sells or, I suppose, you could make your own.

The Haltech runs about 1100 bucks plus the sensors, triggering wheels, etc. OZ951 has one, though I dont know if he has it running yet.

The TEC setup is about 3100 bucks, IIRC including everything but I cant find the email to verify that price. Chris is a regular and his setup is complete. You might find the TEC setup less but not complete.

Motec is even more than that.

Matt Sheppard is running SDS.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt H
The main problem is that none of the aftermarket EFI setups are designed to run with the sensors on the 944. It will require trigger wheels like the package that Clewitt sells or, I suppose, you could make your own.

The Haltech runs about 1100 bucks plus the sensors, triggering wheels, etc. OZ951 has one, though I dont know if he has it running yet.

The TEC setup is about 3100 bucks, IIRC including everything but I cant find the email to verify that price. Chris is a regular and his setup is complete. You might find the TEC setup less but not complete.

Motec is even more than that.

Matt Sheppard is running SDS.
Rage runs SDS as well IIRC.

What kind of boost controller would you run for a setup like that?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:09 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

OZ951 did get his car running with the new setup. He lived about 15min from me and I happened to catch him at a gas station when he was tuning it. I do not know much about the setup as he left the country right after that.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:56 AM
Danno
Race Director

"The main problem is that none of the aftermarket EFI setups are designed to run with the sensors on the 944."

I've got a true plug & play EFI system based upon a Link-1 box. Uses all stock sensors, like the TPS, engine-temp, speed/ref. sensors, O2-sensor, I supply an air-temp sensor. You remove DME/KLR, plug into DME-harness, install ignition amplifier and off you go! No need to install trigger-wheels & sensors, even uses the stock harness! Also stock coil, distributor and wires.

Old 01-19-2005, 05:15 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a link LEM5. Its a pretty decent unit for the price, proabably cheaper than the TEC setup. I hear lots of good things about the TEC though, but I am biased about Link as I have lots of their products and love them all!
Old 01-19-2005, 12:10 PM
ijohnston99
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danno
"The main problem is that none of the aftermarket EFI setups are designed to run with the sensors on the 944."

I've got a true plug & play EFI system based upon a Link-1 box. Uses all stock sensors, like the TPS, engine-temp, speed/ref. sensors, O2-sensor, I supply an air-temp sensor. You remove DME/KLR, plug into DME-harness, install ignition amplifier and off you go! No need to install trigger-wheels & sensors, even uses the stock harness! Also stock coil, distributor and wires.

Do you have more information on this?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:26 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Andy,
This has the potential to be a great thread (in my opinion) can you move it to the 951 board? I'm sure it would get more play. Good luck, you still remind me of me twenty five years ago! See you at the "fest".
Old 01-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Holy Crap, Andy. Better start stocking up on cigars, dont forget the Tommy Bahama hat for the 944 Fest

Sorry, Winslow, opened yourself up to that one!

BTW, I think you are right, this would get a lot more attention in the 951 tech board.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:36 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt H
Holy Crap, Andy. Better start stocking up on cigars, dont forget the Tommy Bahama hat for the 944 Fest

Sorry, Winslow, opened yourself up to that one!

BTW, I think you are right, this would get a lot more attention in the 951 tech board.
Matt,

It was a Stetson, and damn I love those cigars with a little bourbon. BTW, are you installing a SMT-6 on your car?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Matt H
Race Director

No, I am going to run the ARC2 for a little while if I ever get back into the garage to work on it. It I hate it I will probably park it for another year and go ahead with the huge bore motor and TEC setup.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:12 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll move this to the 951 forum.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:18 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Im running a ARC2 with a Huntley MAF kit on my NA, Its ok, But the ARC2 isnt really percions and it gets kinda bitchy, I reprogram mine about 1 time a month. I dont know what your running the ARC2 on but I wouldnt run it on a turbo.

P.S I looked into Danno's standalone system, VERY VERY nice setup he has and he is a really nice guy to deal with, just wish I had the cash when he offered me one for my NA

Quick Reply: Standalone, what do you have and how do you like it???