Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AIR splitter GB feeler thread for Feb...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005 | 03:51 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Default AIR splitter GB feeler thread for Feb...

Have not checked with anyone (AIR or J. D.) but just want to check interest in another group buy... I will be keen whenever but Feb may be a good month to give people time to recharge! Given I am likely not the best shipping destination, maybe someone close to AIR can ship them out depending on what AIR will do in terms of the shiiping and GB deal...

(P) = potential

Andy.

Count on keen

1. NZ951
2. Black beauty (P)
3. Faithless (P)
4. Adam H (P)
5. Driv200mph (P)
6. Darius Juca
7. azmi951
8. aribop
9. Ehall
10. Shockm

Last edited by NZ951; 01-16-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2005 | 03:53 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

I have heard that it is a pain to install any input
Old 01-13-2005 | 03:57 AM
NZ951
Race Director

SOme have problems some dont, all can be mounted after some work... History will tell you of those with fitment issues.
Old 01-13-2005 | 03:58 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

What about stability at speed? Does it cover the space like the batwing?
Old 01-13-2005 | 04:05 AM
NZ951
Race Director

www.americaninternationalracing.com

944 Turbo Front Spoiler includes bat wing belly pan ( replaces the one on the car).

Part # 951-718 Price $250

I have never used one so cant comment on the stability at speed question.
Old 01-13-2005 | 04:10 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Damn it Andy, too many GB's going on...........plus shipping is a freaking nightmare!!!! (with me anyways )

I was quoted $300 JUST shipping since it is an 'oversize' package..........
Old 01-13-2005 | 04:14 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Yeah I have a Fedex account at work...
Old 01-13-2005 | 04:16 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

How much quoted for shipping with FedEx?

PS: How much does it weigh? 4lbs? (if i remember)..........i have a buddy who has a UPS account and get's 50% off and it doesn't matter about the size, let's see what he would say if all goes well, then im in
Old 01-13-2005 | 04:20 AM
NZ951
Race Director

It does matter about size, and with the splitter its all about size. The calculated weight is 29.5lbs based on the dimensions... not sure how much it actually weights. I dont have a quote, I will just put it on the account.
Old 01-13-2005 | 04:40 AM
faithless
Pro

FedEx are you out of your mind? You'll pay through the bloody nose for that, USPS is the only way to go for big packages like that.

I'd love to participate in this group buy because I know I will want to get one....but obviously I have a minor problem in that nobody is selling decent 951's in Arizona at the moment. Last GB they cut the price 50 bones, thats substantial... or at least it takes a bite out of your shipping bill! This is a little early to tell how this GB is on timing, but I would be appreciative if it was pushed back a little... I doubt I'll be finding any cars anytime soon.

With regards to the AIR questions:
Yeah I've heard chitter chatter about fittiment problems, but I also heard that AIR resolved that issue. If I may refer to Rich Sandors experience, apparantly removing the front bumper helps a whole lot when you are aligning the splitter, and using bolts with double locked nuts is how Rich wen't about it. His car looks great with the splitter on it. I suppose there may be an issue if some 951's have a slightly different front nose... just a guess. About the aerodynamics, it's not known FOR CERTAIN whether or not the splitter REALLY does improve high speed stability because nobody has done any pressure testing. But the idea is to close off the open pathway of airflow beneith the car by lowering. By doing this pressure under the car is lowered, and thus lift on the car is reduced... there is no actual downforce created as per a wing. I have heard some people say that at roughly 80 you can feel a litte better grip for steering... bottom line: it looks damn sexy. But you will have to put up with cutting EVERY steep corner, and driving up inclines very slowly...etc.
Old 01-13-2005 | 04:42 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Fedex general quote based on the dimensional weight was half USPS. I agree USPS is cheaper generally, but the company I work for is a massive importer and exporter through Fedex.
Old 01-13-2005 | 04:47 AM
faithless
Pro

Originally Posted by NZ951
Fedex general quote based on the dimensional weight was half USPS. I agree USPS is cheaper generally, but the company I work for is a massive importer and exporter through Fedex.
How are you quoting that, are you basing it out of the US or NZ? How would you be able to arrange for that to work, isnt AIR based out of the US?
Old 01-13-2005 | 05:16 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Faithless: Here, i would call FedEx and tell them about the package (diemntiones, weight and so on) then they give a quote. Using that quote, Andy would just tell AIR to write down the account number.............

At least that is how it works here........i've done it (sent a package out to trhe US using HIS account).
Old 01-13-2005 | 05:44 AM
Black Arrow
Racer

I think I`ll be in, if they ship to norway. I`ve already sent them a email about it, but havent got a reply yet. It looks very good indeed! And I`ve never had the original "batwing" part under there either, so I`m in need of the AIR
Old 01-13-2005 | 05:55 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Gator_86: Installation is a breeze if you install it properly. IE: Remove front bumper, place on top of air splitter. Use a felt marker to mark the holes on the bumper to the where you need to drill the holes on the splitter. Drill the holes. Mount the splitter using nuts and bolts - put a locking bolt (two bolts) to prevent them from coming loose if you ground out the splitter. Then replace the unit as one piece back on to the car. You might need to drill holes in the back part of the splitter to accomodate the undertray, however I just tucked my undertray up behind the air splitter and it works fine. The piece fits very well. There is a very very small space on each side at the bottom where it meets the arc of the bumper, and some people think is a fitment problem but it's not.. looks fine IMHO!!!

Just remember to take steep driveways at an angle. Never go straight down a steep driveway angle. As long as you scrape the splitter at a very shallow angle, like 0-7 deg, you won't damage the mounts. My splitter is scraped to hell on the bottom but it's not visible externally. You have to adjust your driving habits, but it's not that bad really.

Stability at speed if anything is increased a bit. but it's not that noticeable.

Quick Reply: AIR splitter GB feeler thread for Feb...