Cylinder Head Gasket replacement it my turn

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 07:59 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Head Gasket replacement it my turn

Good Evening Team

It doesn’t look good. Number one spark plug has water around it after sitting for only 4.5 hours, its wet in there (in this case not a good thing), she missing at start-up, a small white cloud of smoke is appearing if she sitting for an extended period, high speed missing (will clear up after a while with foot in it) and a broken stud producing an exhaust leak. I’ve owned her forever and even in her decrepit condition she still puts a smile on my face. The head gasket is going to be replaced the questions are with the cylinder head. I have checked Search and decided to fix the broken parts and to spring for the O-ring. Quick questions.

The five-angle value job is it worth it? (Subjectively speaking here. I know that the flow rate is a bit higher 180 vs. 232. But, what does that yield in performance?)

Can any qualified head shop work on our cylinder head or is it better to send it out to a Porsche shop like Lindsey?

If any shop can do it is there any special equipment that the shop should have that I should look out for?

The job looks pretty straightforward and I will leave the header pipes while pulling the head off. However, any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance

Last edited by ewainwright; 01-06-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our heads are somewhat similar to chevy cylinder heads in how they are reworked, so I would say that any GOOD shop should be able to take care of it for you. With that being said, I asked my local wrench who he used and went there. I don't think you'll see a difference between a 3 angle and 5 angle job unless you do some port work.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:08 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems there is really no such thing as a 5 "angle" cut for our heads. As the seat insert is some what short in height, there is just not enough material there is cut 5 angles. What is typically done is a combination of 1 or 2 angles and top and bottom radius's. Also, when cutting old seat inserts, the only real way is to use a radius type cut as a flat top angle normally is below the chamber floor and this KILLS the flow.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:45 AM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look around for a machine shop experienced with our heads. I found one locally who did a great job. It is definitely worthwhile having the valve guides replaced, and probably worthwhile to have the head surfaced.

The job is pretty straightforward. Try to keep track of where your cam followers fall out of when pulling the cam tower. They should be kept in order. I did this very job this summer for the same reason (#1 cylinder was the culprit as well.)
Old 01-07-2005, 02:51 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Ed, Sorry you are having the problem. I did my head gasket a while back, so if I can help with anything (from CA), just let me know. If you are comfortable tensioning the belts, it's really not that bad of a job. Tilt the car and "roll" the cam tower off to avoid dropping the lifters. I sent my head out to a local shop and had fine results. Unlike the block, the head is apparently not "special" by machine shop standards. I bet Ian can point you to a good local shop.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head Gasket replacement it my turn