Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

"Haters" on the roadways

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 02:55 PM
DHC8FO
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are some advantages to owning a Porsche. When I was in high school I had a 2.0 914, basically a VW, but it had a Porsche crest. When I was dating, the parents were generally much more laxed with curfews, and yes chicks dig cars. That's why I bought my son one. I hope he has half the fun I did!

So what you may be experiencing is Porsche Envy. What really pisses these folks off is to smile, wave, and tell them to have a nice day. Try it some time, it's quite satisfying to see the confused look and smoke pouring out thier ears, as they try to think of something nasty to reply.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:11 PM
hinch951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I have waved and laughed and they get even worse. I am from Bluefield (for those people from West Virginia) haha....and I am going to Concord College. I chose this school because it was located in Athens(a small town) and I could commute back and forth to school everyday in my Ford Taurus Station Wagon. Mom wants me to sell the car, but I have worked to pay the wagon off and the rest ($3,000) on the 951. Anyways, she just doesn't understand the love I have for sportscars, which is what I did my "Senior Project" in high school on. The technological advancements of Porsche's. I put together a pretty neat video, went to Germany with my Uncle(who flies there weekly with Delta, and did a lot of research. Not to mention the hours I spent revising the tape and stuff at the dealership I went to. Rick Hill Imports of Tennessee(Thanks a lot) These guys were so nice and even gave me about 90.00 bucks worth of t-shirts and hats, because I had driven almost 2 hours and was turned down by their manager. In the end, he was really nice and generous with his free items. The video was enough for me!! Anyways, my 951 was my first car, so I am real attached to it and have even visited VIR to watch races there and such and to chat with a mechanic I know from Floyd Virginia who races in the PCA Tournaments. All in all, I can't think of a better first car to own, me being responsible and taking great care of a classic car. I see how some of my friends take care of their cars their parents bought them and it makes me sick. Whatever car you have, I think you should take enough pride in it to not drive it like you stole it and take care of it. Anyway, I have rambled too much, but felt like expressing my love for Porsche's and other Porsche owners out there!
Old 01-06-2005, 03:16 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hinch951
....I actually look young for my age. I'm 19, but look like about 16 or 17, which sucks, but oh well.
Don't feel bad, Hinch. I'm almost 29 and, with a beard, I generally get 23, and without it, I get, gasp... 18 or 19! I know that looking younger is what most everyone desires, but whew, it does have its drawbacks at this point in life. It almost makes me want to go bake in the sun for a couple years... Not really, I'm too much of a health nut to stay out in the sun for too long. That last sentence partly explains why I look so young for my age, actually.
Even though looking younger has its drawbacks, when I saw people my age last year at my 10-year reunion who now look 40, I must say that I much prefer looking younger.

P.S.--When I was 19, I looked 15-16. So again, don't feel bad, buddy.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:19 PM
hinch951
Instructor

I appreciate the kind words NeedPorscheSpeed....Yeah maybe I'll appreciate it when I get a little older and people want to start looking younger again. HAHA but at this stage, everyone wants to look older, but anyways thanks man.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:25 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Ive never had anyone say anything bad to my face. But once at the movies thearters i was parked next to my friends camaro. This obviously pissed some redneck kids waiting for their mom so they decided to throw their drinks all over my car.

As for people when driving.... anyone who tried to mess with got their **** blown out of the water, i just didnt deal with it.

I always got kind words. Lots of people commented on my car exspecially at gas stations, id always have people asking about my car and commmenting how clean/nice it looks. A few autox's even said how they loved the 951 and wished they had one after seeing how they perform. Never had anyone say anything bad.

HAHAHA the best though came from some guy who asked what kind of ferrari it was HAHAHAHAH it was almost an insult.... hahaha
Old 01-06-2005, 03:31 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Kinda funny how people react to what you drive... I can ride up to any gas station anywhere in the country on my Harley looking like a village people reject that just got paroled, bug splattered and dirty, and I'll get little old ladies inviting me home to meet their Granddaughters, stockbrokers giving me insider trading tips, ErnieBob telling me the location of his favorite secret fishing hole... You want friends? Seriously, buy a Harley.

Pull up to the same gas station in anything that says Porsche, looking nice and groomed, and it seems like the same people start with contempt and work their way downward. Yes, I get my share of "hey buddy, nice car!" but I bet I get at least twice as much "Porsche envy". Cool, ain't it?

Regards,
Old 01-06-2005, 09:18 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flyguy I have to put what you wrote in my sig...I was laughing so hard I spit my coke all over my keyboard. lol
Old 01-06-2005, 09:42 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

hinch951.......No wonder down there in Bluefield!! Much less Wally World. Just don't drive your 951 down into Matewan!!!! VERY SCARY PLACE!!! If you ever wanna hang out with an old man in Motown, email me we'll head up to BeaverRun or Summit Point.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:15 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott, if you turned up in a Harley here like that, people would think you are a gang member and steer well clear! In my 951, I get people chatting all the time! I had a petrol pump guy chatting for 30mins just yesterday! I ended up taking him for a spin he was maybe 15 - 16 and now wants one Sharing the love!
Old 01-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I passed some guy on the right in New York State last week when he wouldn't move over and he gave me the finger. There are ******** everywhere. What's the surprise?
Old 01-06-2005, 11:32 PM
nize
Banned

i like swerving into their lane a few times to see how many times i can get them to give me the finger.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:47 PM
hinch951
Instructor

Haha....down here if I were to do some of that, I might get my back glass blown out by a gun shot... ( No Joke.)
Old 01-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

One time when I was a little kid my dad and I were out driving around, some guy in an oldschool beatdown toyota pickup started tailgating and honking like mad. He was yelling at us and stuff. My dad dropped it down to 3rd and off we went, never saw him again.

I'd like to get the car completely debadged. A lot of people wouldn't know WTF kind of car it is, just that it looks cool/fast. Less brand stereotyping would happen is my guess, and it would be a sleeper.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:05 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Dash01
I'd like to get the car completely debadged. A lot of people wouldn't know WTF kind of car it is, just that it looks cool/fast. Less brand stereotyping would happen is my guess, and it would be a sleeper.
it's very easy to do this on a 951, all you have to do is remove the 'porsche' sticker on the rear and it would be hard for people to spot the 'porsche' name anywhere else on the car while you're driving around. all they'd see would be 'turbo'.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

At a local autocross I walked up to the timing trailer to check the results and noticed that my time was third fastest time of the day. A guy with a new boxter heard my time and asked what I drove. I told him and he asked "how did you go that fast with just a 944" My 87 951 was the only 944 there that day and most likely the least valuable car at the autox. I took that as a compliment.
I have now owned 3 911s and 3 944s and have gotten the star treatment when driving the 911s, but now some people are starting to accept the 951 as a classic.
My trash guys came by one morning while my father was visiting with his 90c2(my old car) and the trash guy asked if he could have the 951, he did not like the 911 at all. I did not expect that respect.

Quick Reply: "Haters" on the roadways