Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So you want to build a 2.7. Advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

May be you missed the sarcasm!
It seemed to me that you were questioning the costs associated with the sleeving work so I offered a come back about the deck plate work by your friends at PD. I agree with your response on the deck plate costs, there is a lot of labor / machine time in any of these operations. The first sleeved block (or deck plate for that matter) costs ten times as much as the rest due to the programming and learning curve to set the machinery up.

Just to be honest – I do not own the CNC machinery – there are not enough 944 engines out there to support that level of equipment. I have an agreement with a specialty shop to do the work to my spec, usually with me standing there ‘helping’.

Chris White
Old 01-07-2005, 01:35 AM
hmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Ok, here are the typical sleeving problems –
The steel/iron sleeves are set in place using an interference fit, the OD of the sleeve is greater than the ID of the hole. To get them to fit you need to heat the block and cool the sleeves. If you don’t have a fixture (specially made) to hold the sleeves in place as the block cools the sleeves will be forced out of the block just a tad. You won’t be able to see it so you won’t find it until you run the engine hard and the sleeves sink into the block and your head gasket starts leaking.
Chris,

one technique that you could employ to prevent the sleeves from sinking into the block is to have the block tapered down.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:19 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

As M42racer and Chris White already stated. To properly sleeve a 944 block is very labor & equipment time intensive. The price gets even higher the larger the bore size....
Of course doing 4-5 blocks at a time reduces the price, but this is rare. So far I have seen very few that can install the sleeves properly...

Quick Reply: So you want to build a 2.7. Advice please!