Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Internal Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 10:57 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric: If you need help regarding technical documentation from the manual, i would gladly help you out.....
Old 01-06-2005, 12:16 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Pay very close attention to sealing the oil galley at the crank girdle and the oil pick up. A small air leak there will ruin your day!
Make sure the crank girdle is positioned correctly before final torquing – if the oil pump surface is not flush (upper to lower) you will get a little grumpy later.
If you are replacing the oil galley plugs (as I hope you are – it’s the only way to really clean the block) be careful with the little one near cylinder 1 – I now locktite, stake and epoxy that little bastard in place.
The only other tip….Clean, Clean. Clean. Clean…..cant get clean enough…

Chris White
Old 01-06-2005, 12:40 AM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you feel comfortable using the block as your dinner plate,you're getting there..
Old 01-06-2005, 01:47 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris:

What is the part number for the small galley plug in the vertical bore? I have searched in vain for that part. Finally just tapped and installed a threaded plug.

I agree, if dinner tastes a bit greasy, it isn't clean enough!
Old 01-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I don’t know the part number –the first one I installed that was an original Porsche part came unseated and popped out. Luckily I was riding in the passengers seat and yelled to kill the engine. Took quite a few hours to pull the pan and fix. Since then I just pick them up locally and really make sure they won’t come out!!!

Tapping and plugging is a good way to go!

Chris White
Old 01-07-2005, 01:57 PM
9five1
Pro

Guys -- Thanks for all of the tips and advice! I am going to dive in head first this weekend!

~Eric
Old 01-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Why can't someone torque it the proper way and then gradually increase the torque setting on the torque wrench to see what torque you actually have after those 60 degrees are done? just my two cents...never been a fan of the "turn this and that many degrees"...seems to vague to me.
You are not really interested in the torque. What is interesting is the clamping force and there is only a vague relation between torque and clamping force. However if you know the spring rate of the bolt and know how much you stretch it, you know the clamping force. By knowing the pitch of the bolt and the degrees you have turned the nut, you know how far you have stretched it.
With this procedure you do not need to do any retorqueing. All manufacturers are now switching to this method.

Bengt

Quick Reply: Engine Internal Assembly