Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

borla exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one thing thought Nize is right hard to find full 3 inch I had to ask summit to special order becouse it was not in the catalog
Old 01-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We are in the final process of offering 3 full exhaust systems....... we looked at using the Borla exhaust and we decided not to. They are poorly constructed and the design has strong potential for a blow out! The seams are flat welded and not rolled..... the welds are not that great and the finish is dull.
FWIW, I installed a Borla Cat back on a 96 Camaro, I want to say it was 1200 dollar or so, when we put the car up on the dyno he lost 6 HP vs. the stock system.

We also looked at Flowmaster and the build quality was even worse.... plus they are made of aluminized steel, not stainless! The QC who let these out of the door should be ashamed.
Of course, they last about forever, if you want to know just go ask a Mustang board. It isnt like they are some new kid on the block. For such a crappy muffler they sure seem to sell a lot.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:35 PM
PowerWerks
Instructor

Something to note........ We tested a Flowmaster, a Borla and a Magnaflow true 3 inch exhaust and looked at a number of smaller independent manufacturers products.
We very closely looked at the build quality, fit and finish of each one of the exhausts....... as I mentioned in my previous post there is a big difference between them.

I will try get some pictures and post them to highlight the difference. Price wise there is nothing in it....... so why not choose the best quality you can.

Flowmaster:
Benefits - This is the cheapest of the bunch (but for good reason!)
Downsides - This is NOT stainless steel... its is aluminized steel. The quality of the welds, fit and finish very very poor. This thing is a lead weight!

Borla:
We had the most expectations out of this system and believed it would be the best option.
Benefits - Full Stainless steel - good fit - the highest priced unit in our test.
Downsides - Poor welds and finish - dull in appearance compared to the Magnaflow - flat seams not rolled (B&B have this same design and are well known for there blow outs) - not as heavy as the Flowmaster but more than the Magnaflow

Magana Flow:
Benefits - Reasonable price - best welds and finish - rolled edges that are thick and very robust - best finish and look right out of the box - the lightest unit in the test.
Downsides - nice deep sound but is a little louder then the Borla... but not by much!

We are using the Magna Flow for these reasons.... also we will be using their tips as they have the most Porsche look and feel. Our 4 ich system will use Magnaflow Race exhaust.... this sounds amazing!

I will try to show the differences in some pictures....... this may take me a day or two but I can post for those who are interested in seeing the differences.

Cheers,
Paul R
Old 01-03-2005, 05:40 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since when is the highest price a benefit (Borla)? lol
Old 01-03-2005, 05:43 PM
PowerWerks
Instructor

ha-ha yes.... that is a strange one!
Sorry for my lack of typing skills.... I will try harder next time! LOL

Cheers,
Paul
Old 01-03-2005, 06:10 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just concentrate on getting your 951 products to market!

Quick Reply: borla exhaust options