Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Installing LR parts: New 4" Exh, hard pipes, Stage V cooler & panel, short shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 02:08 AM
PowerWerks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait a week or two and you may just see a 4inch system on offer!
Old 01-01-2005, 02:10 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You are my new best friend Paul... check my reply about the mirrors if you need numbers before development.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Black Arrow
Racer

Originally Posted by NZ951
Is the exhaust 4" the whole way? If not, like I suspect, then a 3" downpipe would not create any more restriction. SFR make a 3" downpipe.
Is the SFR 3" downpipe a true bolt on pipe? Same length as the OEM part?

Is a 4" downpipe so much better than the 3"? Better back pressure? Flow? Cant really understand how a 4" can fit, but people do so much thing with their cars these days

I`m going to install the t04-e and alreaddy got the LR 3" exhaust. Maybee I should think about a 3" or 4" downpipe as well! When got a 3" exhaust, there shouldnt be any need for a 4" downpipe? Right?
Old 01-01-2005, 04:27 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Have a chat to Tim at SFR, I dont have the product so I cant comment. I will be getting one at some stage as I need to reduce the back pressure to allow a more radical cam...
Old 01-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Driv200mph
Instructor

Rolex NJ has the kind of car none of us wants to see. Because the LR 4" system looked so good on his car....plus the tested/proven performance over the 3".....I had to have it as I too am running the Super 75 turbo. Didn't know LR made a custom down pipe.

When I get my 4" exhaust and 4" downpipe installed, I will have pics available to show all so we can address if a full 4" will fit or not as a bolt in.

RolexNJ, I saw you briefly one day at LR way back when your car was just a Million Dollar Special.....but now, it's Million Dollar Super car with all the right parts and all the bling!!!!! I understand your car had so much power that the 3" exhaust couldn't really keep up with all the back pressure?????
Old 01-02-2005, 04:33 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by tma§951
Is the SFR 3" downpipe a true bolt on pipe? Same length as the OEM part?

Is a 4" downpipe so much better than the 3"? Better back pressure? Flow? Cant really understand how a 4" can fit, but people do so much thing with their cars these days

I`m going to install the t04-e and alreaddy got the LR 3" exhaust. Maybee I should think about a 3" or 4" downpipe as well! When got a 3" exhaust, there shouldnt be any need for a 4" downpipe? Right?
Yes the part is a bolt on part. Fits stock to my knowledge. I have not heard of a 4" downpipe, I cant see it fitting in the stock position, its pretty tight there and no one I know has build one. A 3" downpipe would make your system a true 3" and given the stock downpipe is less than 3", then you remove that as the restrivtion, and consequently have less back pressure which is a problem on many bolt on turbo's that try to have quick spool but also feed peoples desire for high HP!
Old 01-02-2005, 04:35 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Driv,

I didnt think the system was a full 4". Thats sweet. What is the proven performance you speak of, do you have the dyno results of the gains from full 3" to full 4"?
Old 01-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Driv200mph
Instructor

No, not actually sure, but I can find out. On RolexNJ's car, I heard there was a 25% better flow over the 3" exhaust. Most noticeable at down low RPM torque. Not positive on this number, but I know it was tested/proven. Keep in mind RolexNJ has a dream 951 motor I drool over everytime I see it, which lead to designing the 4" exhaust. However, LR may have tested the system on another car they are building too which is getting the 4" exhaust. I will ask and see and try and get numbers posted. For sure, without a big turbo and several other upgrades, the 4" exhaust wouldn't be recommended.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Driv200mph
Instructor

Oh, by the way, are you saying less back pressure inhibits quicker boost, or are you saying less back pressure helps quicker boosting????
Old 01-02-2005, 05:54 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Is it 4" full on only the cat back section?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:22 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driv200mph:

How are you? Actually, you've never saw me at the LR shop, ever. Why? LOL. I've never been to their shop ever, I had the car shipped to them directly. I'm planning on flying out there, I hope, so I can actually see the progress. We are getting really close to the end of the project though. It will be done by spring for sure.

And thanks for the compliment on my car! I really appreciate that a lot. From the 100s of pics that have been sent to me, I am in total love with eveything they've done to it!

Just to let you know, I bought the car off of a Porsche collector. It's an 1989T, with 27K original miles on it. It's in absolute "mint" shape!! I looked a long time for a car of this quality. LR told me when they initially received the car, it was in such incredible shape, they thought it just rolled off the showroom floor! But, if you've seen my car is person, then you can really appreciate it moreso. The pics on the LR web site don't do it justice at all. Plus it's not detailed yet because they are still working on it.

Thoughout this entire project, I've been given constant updates. I am telling ya, I am sooooo glad I went with them, they really are the best. They totally run things by me instead of just doing them. They give me updates all the time, and always answer the phones. They send me tons of pics too. And talk about customer service? Wow. I've never experienced this level with any other tuner before. Not even when I was racing IMSA GTP cars and speding big money with the team I was driving for.

Regarding the new custom downpipe. LR doesn't currently make this as a "stock" production piece for commerical sale. I can honestly this "beta" piece was done specifically for my car. I don't know if they will or not make it too. I don't work for them, let alone I'm not a "mole" for them too. I'm just a VERY VERY happy customer! You made a comment about back pressure and their 3 inch system on my car? Let me tell ya, you have no idea how bad it was. We initially started with a #8 hotside, and that was a joke. Then, we went to a #10 hotside and a "p" trim wheel, and that didn't do squat. The back pressure was insane! I'm not sure if you're aware of all the mods they've done to my car, if not, you can look it up under the "customer car2" section. You will see my 3.0L there. That shows to date what they've done so far, less the new downpipe and 4 inch exhaust. And we still have other "goodies" to do too! As such, I'm flowing a TON of air, hence, HUGE back pressure. The major issue being addressed right now.

A word about the erformance of their new 4 inch exhaust system. Once they had installed the 4 inch on my car, I was told they felt an immediate difference in the entire power range that was very noticable. In addition, I have a friend of mine that has one on his 2.5L with some minor mods, and he said the same thing. He noticed a difference in the entire RPM. Now, we all want "quantify" data to suuport these claim, and who wouldn't. Especially me, I am spending a lot of money too with them. Well, give them a little time. Just just developed and released this peice, and were (if I'm not mistaken) the 1st company to market a 4 inch for the 944Ts. I'm sure in time the data will follow, as it always does with all LR products advertised on their web site.

That's it for now, I'll let you know more as we go.

PS. I let you know one "goodie" we are going to install. I'm having them install a fully thermal coated SFR 4-1 header system. I want more HP and top end baby!

Old 01-02-2005, 06:26 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Driv200mph:

PS. You didnt tell me if you bought the Stage 5 Intercooler and panel from them? Is it new or used too? I will bet it used! Am I right?

Old 01-02-2005, 10:27 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Driv200mph:

I just received a pic of my brand new Lindsey Racing 4 inch exhaust system on my car. It's a pretty good shot; from the back of the car. You can see underneath too. Notice the nice chrome exaust tip? When you go visit their shop, go and check it out!

Old 01-02-2005, 10:35 PM
NZ951
Race Director

I am pretty sure thats just the muffler.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:43 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Driv200mph:

Here is another pic of the entire exhaust system before it was installed. It doesn't include the new downpipe, nor was the tip chromed either. But it was fully thermal coated as you can see.

Quick Reply: Installing LR parts: New 4" Exh, hard pipes, Stage V cooler & panel, short shift