Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

my air-fuel tuning experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 06:13 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to go Hally!

I just wonder what you mean by adjusting the PT map based on WOT values. This could be misguiding since there is no direct relation between map values and AFR. The basic duty cycle calculation from AFM signal is not perfect and is to some degree compensated in the maps, so 134 could mean 12.5 or 13.8 or whatever depending on which cell it sits in.
Bengt
Old 12-31-2004, 06:15 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Default AFR Effects

This chart could guide desired AFR.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:29 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Then of course with a bit extra fuel for cooling you could be a bit more aggressive with boost or timing. The graph assumes all other parameters equal.

At 15.0 all fuel is burnt, at 12.7 about 15% fuel just passes the system, but all oxygen is used.
At 11.5 about 23% fuel is unburnt..

At PT you want a slightly richer than stoichiometric when the motronic leaves closed loop for improved throttle response, but I don't think beyond 13.5 is worthwhile.

As NZ writes when to enrichen WOT depends on when boost comes in. This is where a MAP system is at advantage.

Bengt
Old 12-31-2004, 10:47 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody,
I'm slightly hammered, potentially disrepecting slightly
Old 12-31-2004, 04:48 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

So how does the motronic editor collect data. Does it just read the data off of the EPROM via the chip programmer?
Old 12-31-2004, 05:30 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

It just lets you edit the maps, you still need a reader/burner to 'pull' the image
from the chip.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:32 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

BTW, thats one heck of a dip in fuel after 4k. Well after full boost. Looks like it would ping like a mother.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:38 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Hally, what time is it there now???
Old 12-31-2004, 06:19 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

ok, I don't know much about chip burners. Are most of them able to extract the data off of our chips as well as burn new chips or is another device needed? Would a unit like this work for reading and burning our chips?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...863161509&rd=1
Old 12-31-2004, 06:46 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

also, It seems that you could log most of the data needed to tune most things with the Zeitronix. What could be used to log/detect knock so that timeing could safely be tuned. I know there are knock sensor displays, but I would think that you would need something that would let you know as you're tunning that you were getting close to detonation. Or, is something like the Link knock display all that is needed and one would just monitor that during test runs?
Old 12-31-2004, 07:08 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

The basic duty cycle calculation from AFM signal is not perfect and is to some degree compensated in the maps, so 134 could mean 12.5 or 13.8 or whatever depending on which cell it sits in.
Hi Bengt, so on the part throttle map, in the RPM columns i scaled the map value at 54% throttle back to being no greater than the corresponding RPM value in the full throttle map where load is greater than 54%. Are you saying the full throttle map and part throttle maps at similiar RPMs are unrelated?
The o2 sensor / closed loop seems to such a good job its hard to tell any difference.
BTW, thats one heck of a dip in fuel after 4k. Well after full boost. Looks like it would ping like a mother.
Andy, i am in the high elevens above 4k all the way to redline at WOT.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:09 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

That is the programmer / reader that I use.
You need to make sure it will program 2732 chips. (24 pin)
2764 chips(28 pin) Some say the willem programmers wont, but they will.
There is a design flaw that can be repaired by jumping a couple pins in the ZIF
connector. I soldered a jumper wire on the back of mine.
ALSO...get the one that powers from an adapter...not the USB. Mine is the USB version and it will load down the 5v supply on the laptop. It will work fine on a desktop. I wired up an 110AC to 5vDC adapter that plugs into the programmers USB port to use on my laptop.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:58 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Ok, a few more tweaks after some higher res logging using the laptop, i think i'm done
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2005, 07:08 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Hi Bengt, so on the part throttle map, in the RPM columns i scaled the map value at 54% throttle back to being no greater than the corresponding RPM value in the full throttle map where load is greater than 54%. Are you saying the full throttle map and part throttle maps at similiar RPMs are unrelated?
Yes, you have to check all values to be safe. The AFM signal is not linear and the basic duty cycle calculation only get you close to were you want to be. The Porsche engineers then have made the fine tuning in the maps and depending on if they were too rich or lean in a certain load cell they would adjust to values above or below 128.
Then of course PT is not that important. You wont blow a head gasket and you are not looking for maximum hp. When I did my PT map I went for a certain AFR but it was the tuning for driveability that was important. To get the right feeling on and off throttle.
Only 1/3 of the cells are used in normal driving so for instance high rpm/low load is something you just pass when you drop the throttle at high rpm and you can spend less time optimising there.
Now that said, ignition is what really makes a difference on PT.

The o2 sensor / closed loop seems to such a good job its hard to tell any difference.
Unplug the sensor when tuning. As soon as you give quick throttle the motronic leaves closed loop and how the car picks up depends on map values.

Bengt
Old 01-01-2005, 07:37 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

So how does the motronic editor collect data. Does it just read the data off of the EPROM via the chip programmer?
Hi eurospeed, I am using the tech edge (similiar to the zeitronics unit) to log data. Beab951 describes in this thread describes how to tap the RPM, AFM load and boost signals:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...h+edge+install

Bengt, thanks for all the info, i'll try part throttle tuning without the o2 sensor plugged in next.

Quick Reply: my air-fuel tuning experience