Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 vs 9-3 Viggen

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 12:50 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on what you want to do with the car. I've not driven the Viggen, but my girlfriend has a 99 9-3 which I've driven around a lot. That thing has a TON of space to put stuff in. I can't imagine putting a dinning room table and all 4 chairs that go with it in my 951...I doubt I'd even get 2 chairs in it. In that regard it's a much more practical car.

Performance wise I'd have to go with the 951. It's a sports car, it handles like a sports car, it's got power like a sports car, and it just drives like one too. The Viggen has lots of power, so there's no problem there, but it just doesn't handle nearly as well.

Cost of ownership is kind of a toss up, her 9-3 has needed a lot more maintenance then my car, but doesn't have the whole go-fast goodies that my 951 seem to require. For gas mileage, the 9-3 is a bit better, but not much.

Personally I don't really like driving her car around, it's just not as much fun. It's got nice features, but parts of it have a very cheap feeling to them. And there's a really annoying seam in her seats that digs into my back in a bad way...I think that's just me though. So unless you want a huge trunk, I'd say go with the 951.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

Well the Viggen is not a Porsche. However you can get them with a 5-door configuration and it is halfway decent in snow so it is a more practical choice for some. You can also get a certified one with an extended warranty if that appeals to you. I dropped my Passat off at the VW/Saab dealer this AM and they have two 2002 Viggens I looked at while I was there. Neat cars. Not designed from a clean sheet to be a great sports car, and lacking the build quality of the 944 series, but decent. If I had to have only one car it'd be a pretty decent choice. Power, handling, room for four, can haul stuff, acceptable in snow, way cheaper than an Audi S4 Avant...

-Joel.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:44 PM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little off topic but a friend of mine with a 2001 Saab 9-3 already needs a HG repair at 70k miles for a coolant leak. Any of you guys done this? How does it compare to pulling the head on our cars? Shop rates were quoted for 7 hours labor but my friend has no money (but she is very pretty). Looking in there it doesnt look too bad compared to all the layers of stuff in the 951. Any help or reference appreciated.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:50 PM
pcarphanatik
Pro

Well, my seller with the viggen called and let me know he has a better offer and I told him about getting a 944 turbo and I think he was jealous

I guess my test drive will have to wait a week...or two...

Oh well, I can be patient!
Old 12-31-2004, 01:15 AM
azmi951
Drifting

I second the A4for a daily driver and if you want a great car that you make sacrifices for do the 951. This car will NEVER go out of style, or performance!!!!!!!!! If I did have to get a daily I would get an A4 1.8T, my buddy worked for Audi Perfomance Racing and says the A4 is highly upgradeable and has the build quality near the 951.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:51 AM
redheadedwoman
1st Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pcarphanatik
Well, my seller with the viggen called and let me know he has a better offer and I told him about getting a 944 turbo and I think he was jealous

I guess my test drive will have to wait a week...or two...

Oh well, I can be patient!
That's MY VW he's showing off...

S'okay...we BOTH wish we had a nice 944 (or in my case, 911) (See also my sig hehe) He should be happy I'll settle for my VW so he can have a high performance car...(that I can steal when he's not watching me!)

~ The Girlfriend
Old 01-02-2005, 03:51 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

HAHAHA I like your sid line, "girlfriend."

I swear I've seen that exact same spot on VWVortex. Do you guys go on those boards as well?? There was somebody asking about 951s on there recently. A couple rennlisters piped up and talked about them (including myself).
Welcome to RL and enjoy... it's the best forum out there. Period.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:32 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

1. This is a Porsche that your comparing with a fancy Chebby.
2. Since you have a daily driver, that I assume you're fine with, but not "pumped" to go out and drive the **** out of, then why even think about the Cheb...err...Saab? Get the Porsche. Yoou'll want to drive the **** out of it every day! (That is the point of a second fun car, right?)
3. After getting the ticky tacky things worked out, like timing belt, suspension bushings, other small stuff, these cars are then pretty well reliable, if you don't screw around with them.
4. If the car is coming from a good owner, then the timing belt is probably in spec/not worn out, and the little stuff may not need much. That's even cheaper. BTW, my car, with only a few mods is pegging boost at 3100 rpm, (don't ask me why. I don't know. Only added LR 3" exhaust w/o cat, and wastegate. that shouldn't be enough for that.) and was from the second owner, still stock. So I've spent about 3500. to 4k on it, getting the car back in like new condition. What I'm saying is, if this car in question has been well maintained, then you can leave it alone, and love it, or you can put 4k into it, and you'll have a car that will rip your head off at full boost. That way your grinning head will be able to see your beautiful Porshe streak away like the space shuttle, as your head rolls down the street, WAY behind it!
4.What the hell are you waiting for? The two don't compare. Good luck, and have either car properly checked by the best marque specific shop in your area.

Remember the tag line..."Porsche...there is no substitute"
Old 01-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Corwin
Intermediate

I own the 'other' Swedish car. You know the one Ford bought. It is my daily driver and winter car while the 951 is the Summer car. It is also a 2.3L turbo charged FWD car. As far as fun goes you really can't compare the two. The 951 is just so much more fun to drive in about every way. The T5 is pretty fast, but suffers from low end traction issues.

The Volvo actually is quite fast at highway speeds or anything over about 45 when I can get traction. However from a stop there are serious wheelspin problems. I've taken both the Volvo and the 951 to the Autox and there is no comparisson as far as handling. While the T5 is fairly fast with a 0-60 under 6 seconds the 951 is scary fast. I thought that 3rd in the T5 was something to be reckoned with, but 3rd in the 951 is just amazing.

The good thing about the Volvo or Saab is they can haul a lot of people and or stuff. If you don't need to haul a lot of stuff and don't want a bigger car, but still want room for 4 then go with the Audi A4. It is a bit smaller, but has much more tuning potential. I will put in a plug for Volvo though. They are quite the cruiser with very comfortable seats. Also they are very reliable as well.

If you want a car that will put a smile on your face everytime you drive it go for the 951.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:20 PM
BoostSciences
Advanced

Have you considered the 9-5 2.3 T. Very nice platform, which has not been messed with yet by GM. Stay away from the 3.0 V6, which is just a reworked GM motor and prone to tons of problems. I take several long trips every year in deep snow conditions and the 9-5 is awesome with a good decent set of all-season tires. Put on some snow tires and this thing is a cat. Tons of room and easily upgradeable with a ECU swap to boost it to 215 hp and 220tq. It is FWD, but great for town and long trips. For the track my 951 wins hands down. Due to the sport suspension, the ride in the 951 is rougher, but for comfort, the 9-5 is the winner. If you buy a 9-5 get the extended 6yr/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Well worth it.

Quick Reply: 951 vs 9-3 Viggen