Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF or MAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 03:31 AM
turbinek
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MAF or MAP

What is more accurate? How about lifespan?

I know from the PAG web-site that Carrera GT has this kind of measurement.
I know from many articles VW had many many many problems with those hot films.

So why do companies like PAG use MAF? Because they have BOSCH as engine management supplier and they only have maf as latest tec?

Does anyone know?
I am just guessing!
kind regards
Old 12-27-2004, 03:34 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few threads about the MAP vs MAF.

Personally I think MAP is the next step in terms of performance. No need to worry about voltage issues, air density?, air turbulance... etc. However, you will find a lot of divided opinions I am sure in the history.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:44 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What would be interesting if people also chip in in experience. I know that in the previous MAF/MAP posts that vendors chimed in and things got tough But i doubt that someone used a MAF then switched to MAP (or vice versa).
Old 01-01-2005, 09:26 AM
turbinek
Instructor

The problem with search by map/maf is hitting mostly people's car modifications.
o.k. I could also pm everybody using map.
For me one thing that may occur in both systems in engine stumbling in some throttle situation (hit gas hard go off hard ...).
N.Z. map seems to be more logical because 951 is working under pressure.
kind regards
Old 01-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Tomas L
Pro

This has been up many times before.
This is the way I see it and some people may not agree.
If you want to keep the stock motronic DME and KLR then MAF should be your primary choise. The MAP kits with piggyback offered for motronic cannot correctly measure mass air flow due to design limitations and the fact that the motronic was not designed for this. You will also find that MAF kits will requiry less tuning for your particular car than MAP kits.

If you go standalone then MAP would probably be the logical choise because of the fact that most aftermarket EFI systems are designed for MAP. Since they are designed for MAP they implement methods that work around the MAP system's inherent problems.

The fact that Porsche uses MAF, and that Bosch which is the world's leading company in fuel injection technology also prefers MAF, and the fact that MAP is mainly found in cars where price is the main sales argument, might give some information. The only real advantage for MAP aside from the cost is the fact that you don't have any intake restriction.

This has all been up many times before and it easily becomes a religious discussion but if you make a search for problems realted to the systems I'm quite sure that you find many threads with MAP kit owners having trouble with stumbling and hesitation of the engine but not so many threads with MAF problems.

Tomas
Old 01-01-2005, 12:53 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Thank you very much Tomas - sounds logical to me.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:55 PM
J Chen
Drifting

There must be something good about MAF, even Skylines,
Supras & Imprezzas are using them.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:49 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tomas: MAF and MAP kits costs are the same, troubles with both MAF and MAP systems follow as well (in terms of hesitations and stumbling etc) except now BOTH systems are 'getting better' if youd say.

J: Didn't Subaru switch BACK to MAP? i read it somewhere that they first used MAP systems, then they switched to MAF then back to MAP?

Note: MAF's are restricted to a certain power range for the voltage i.e. some MAFs can only handle say 500hp (~425whp) while some are ~600hp and so on.......
Old 01-01-2005, 02:55 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

He's not talking about MAF in MAP "kits," but the cost of goods sold.
MAP is cheaper to produce.

My understanding is that...
The nice thing about MAF is that it actually measures the air instead of calculating it. So in a mustang if you change a bunch of stuff and add 50hp, theres no need for new chips because fuel will be added accordingly.
However, putting a MAF onto our systems doesnt work like this because its basically being used like the AFM.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:05 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by turbite
He's not talking about MAF in MAP "kits," but the cost of goods sold.
MAP is cheaper to produce.

My understanding is that...
The nice thing about MAF is that it actually measures the air instead of calculating it. So in a mustang if you change a bunch of stuff and add 50hp, theres no need for new chips because fuel will be added accordingly.
However, putting a MAF onto our systems doesnt work like this because its basically being used like the AFM.
Incorrect, not everyone uses a MAF as a AFM. Vitesse redesigned the chips to work with a MAF.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:19 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW - Thomas L - I agree with you. It must be New Year's Day.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:25 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't know a heck of a lot about MAFs, but from what I understand, you have to change the size of the MAF as you increase power. A MAP sensor should in theory grow with your mods.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:34 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thomas L makes good points, I have a standalone MAP and have ZERO drivability issues with it, no stumbling at all. For the most part it is a tuning issue, I have seen a stumble tuned out of a AFM Link...

Setting Accel and Decay values is important for response. The biggest issue with the MAF seems to be the voltage and tuning inflexibility problems that pop up every week or so on here. If ALL tuners had a MAF or MAP alternative I bet you would see a more balanced view.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:37 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast951
Incorrect, not everyone uses a MAF as a AFM. Vitesse redesigned the chips to work with a MAF.
What do you mean "redesign?"
You're saying you don't use a lookup table?
Old 01-01-2005, 05:18 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The stock chips are designed for AFM. We use a different transfer function for each particular MAF.. There are many changes that must be made to the chip to work with a MAF..

Quick Reply: MAF or MAP