Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF or MAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 11:25 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup you are right Sam... BOV's cause rich conditions in MAF's on shifts.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:31 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom would your maf setup work better with an atmospheric BOV?

Tony
Old 01-03-2005, 06:31 AM
Transaxle
Instructor

My experience is, that whatever type of bypass valveI use, I'll always end with sometimes very rich conditions during shifts with a MAF sensor. That causes the catalytic converter to overheat and it may be damaged. The problem is the backflow through the MAF when the valve opens. With the flap-style AFM, that is mechanically blocked.

Same if you use an open or atmospheric bypass valve with either a AFM or MAF. These sensors a designed like gates and you should not loose any measured air after the sensor. If you blow off the air through a BOV, you get rich conditions and - beautiful flames at the end... ;-)

The MAP system calculates the actual airflow from rpm, manifold pressure and engines volume. There is no need to keep the air and it can be blown anywhere.

Another advantage of a MAP system is the flexibility of the system design. You can easily hide the small MAP sensor somewhere and remove the flap out of the AFM to keep a stock look.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:08 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

I like flames (of a reasonable size ) and do not have a cat (not required on cars manufactured before 93 in the UK) so I am very interested in what you have done. IIRC you are using a bosch HFM5 (easily available) with a relatively simple (cheap) a to d convertor. If this replicates the AFM signal accurately as the graphs seem to predict, it looks like a nice economic way for me (and others in the UK) to dump my barn door, and improve airflow. Are you planning on selling a kit or a set of drawings and data?

Tony
Old 01-03-2005, 10:18 AM
ewainwright
Racer

Originally Posted by NZ951
That is BS about Link support. Performance Developemnts suport Link very well, as does Link Electro Systems in NZ. The stumbling is a tuning issue, not product. Link in NZ have spent MANY ours on the phone and personally with me. Heck, one of the guys there even hekped me tune it.

May I have their phone number?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Transaxle
Instructor

@uk952:

If you don't need to drive with a cat, you don't have to worry about the rich conditions. You may remember this thread where I described the use of a HFM5 MAF in a racecar project.

We plan to produce a few sets of the S2 kit - the costs are estimated to be around 500€. It is a plug&play kit that replaces the standard AFM and connects without modifications. You have to add a 12V line of course.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:42 PM
turbinek
Instructor

but 951 are more important - at least in this forum!
Old 01-03-2005, 03:34 PM
superjet.1
Pro

Map maf the same old story. What it comes down to is the ability of the person who buys the system to operate it. Ive had customers in the past install and tune both maop and maf kits with ease because they understand the workings of the engine and turbo combined with some knowlage of tuning. THEN I have had customers(in the past) who couldnt even understand how to wire the system in and should have not even began to try and tune it. So I say to you If you can tune it buy it if you cant finda reputable shop and have them install and tune it. As far as witch one is better map or maf personally id say map. Its safer wont leave you stranded if you pop a vacuum line and is far better when expanding with new mods. Just my two cents and ow ya HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Transaxle
Instructor

Originally Posted by turbinek
but 951 are more important - at least in this forum!
You know that my actual project is the MAP system for the 951.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:14 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by ewainwright
May I have their phone number?
http://www.performancedevelopments.com/home.php

www.link-electro.co.nz
Old 01-04-2005, 03:55 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Thank's everybody for the input
And a very happy new year!
kind regards

P.S.: Yes Tom, I know & I hope you will soon announce..

Last edited by turbinek; 01-04-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:51 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Transaxle
@uk952:

If you don't need to drive with a cat, you don't have to worry about the rich conditions. You may remember this thread where I described the use of a HFM5 MAF in a racecar project.

We plan to produce a few sets of the S2 kit - the costs are estimated to be around 500€. It is a plug&play kit that replaces the standard AFM and connects without modifications. You have to add a 12V line of course.
Thanks, yes, I do remember the other thread are the cars racing now?

I was also wondering if you would just do the electronics, HFM5's should be available from damaged vehicles at favourable prices so with a bit of plumbing - job done
I see you are working on MAP for the 951 but before I got back to this thread, I also thought of another couple of options, would a simple butterfly (in the style of throttle valve) lightly sprung or wieghted to close between the MAF and the wastegate dump reduce the rich issue without restricting airflow much (assuming it swung open horizontal during throttle open conditions).

Cheers
Tony
Old 01-05-2005, 07:05 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Does anybody have any experience of the Speedforce MAP kit???
Old 01-05-2005, 07:20 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Tommo,

All piggybak MAP kits I have seen are Link AFM kits with variations in intake pipes only. So they are all the same in that respect.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:49 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Andrew,

That is virtually true, except SFR do not advise a 3bar pressure regulator and say customised chips do not really make that much difference. This flies in the face of what Danno states regarding burning customised chips that are a close match requiring less fine tuning.
Just wondered if anybody was using a SFR setup

Quick Reply: MAF or MAP