Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo 101

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004 | 12:27 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Turbo 101

Hi guys... OK my new (to me) 951 has pretty much gotten the first round of maintenance catch-ups (new waterpump, belts, rollers, ps resevoir/hoses, water hoses). So glad to have that behind me.
Next item is getting smogged and learning a little about all the extra stuff under the hood. The goal is reliable & fast.
I don't have a catalytic converter installed but do have an almost new aftermarket cat from another project. I'm thinking I will weld flanges onto it today and install it into the turbo side of my test pipe. Hoping the flanges will allow me to remove it easily if it affects my performance much.
Part of the reason I'm worried about the cat is bc I inherited APE chips and while I'm happy with the car's performance, I wonder if they will work well with the cat installed. Also not sure I can pass smog with the chips. So some basic guidance would be helpful and I have a few questions:
1. I found the threaded/jetted banjo bolt, what does it do?
2. I have the original chips (although they may be damaged), I think one goes in the DME and the other in the KLR, where is the KLR located and what does it control? Do you think swapping the original chips back in is required to pass smog?...Bruce
Old 12-23-2004 | 12:49 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Bruce. The banjo bolt restricts the flow of boost to the wastegate, making it open slower and therefore allowing higher boost pressures. The KLR is the computer that controls boost and is located right next to the DME in the passenger footwell. It reads manifold pressure and controls the cycling valve solenoid that controls the wastegate. I'm sorry I have no smog experience since I live in an inspection free state. Adding a cat typically slows the spool time on the turbo, but if yours is a performance cat, you may not notice a difference other than exhaust tone.
Old 12-23-2004 | 12:50 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by F18Rep
Part of the reason I'm worried about the cat is bc I inherited APE chips and while I'm happy with the car's performance, I wonder if they will work well with the cat installed. Also not sure I can pass smog with the chips.
The APE chips work fine with the cat installed. I did it for over 10 years on my car. And you should have no problem passing the smog test with the APE chips if the rest of your car is up to spec.

1. I found the threaded/jetted banjo bolt, what does it do?
It's part of the boost regulation system for the APE chips. It connects to the wastegate. The jet creates a partial air flow restriction to the wastegate which allows the turbo to develop more boost than stock before the wastegate opens. However, you should not run more than 15 psi peak with the APE chips, and you should have an aftermarket gauge (not the one in the dash) to verify this.

2. I have the original chips (although they may be damaged), I think one goes in the DME and the other in the KLR, where is the KLR located and what does it control? Do you think swapping the original chips back in is required to pass smog?
There are two chips, one for the KLR and one for the DME. The DME and KLR are two separate boxes inside the car in the passenger side footwell. Pulling back the passenger side floor carpet will reveal them. You'll need to undo some bolts to get the boxes out, but it's pretty easy. And as I said above, you shouldn't need the stock chips to pass smog.
Old 12-23-2004 | 01:20 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can second what Jake says. My car passed several times with the APE chips installed. At part throttle and idle, mixture is controlled by the oxygen sensor, not the chips. Having said that, common problems in passing smog include:

- Cat (you have that covered)
- oxygen sensor (they get old, some owners disconnect them); universal O2 sensor available
- idle mixture; there is a procedure to set the idle mixture using a CO detector
- worn air flow meter (AFM)

If you are worried about it passing smog, I would install the cat, give it a tune-up and have a mechanic verify the O2 sensor is working correctly and set the idle mixture (or do it yourself if you are so inclined/equipped.)
Old 12-23-2004 | 02:57 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bruce,
I passed emissions with ease using the Weltmeister chips and stock cats. Does your car have either CAT? Pics show both cats and shimmed wastegate. If your wastegate is shimmed I don't think you would want to go back to stock chips with removing the shim(s) too.

Lou
Attached Images   
Old 12-24-2004 | 08:09 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey thanks guys... That info is exactly what I needed.

I got the cat installed, according to the butt dyno it is costing me aboout 25 ponies. My "dyno unit" may be out of cal but the HP loss is significant so the cat will have to come back out. I think it will do to get me past the smog test tho. It just an aftermarket generic replacement unit, not like the OEM pair seen in Lou's photo.
I don't think I am "shimmed" although I must look again now that I know what to look for.
I don't have any sort of exhaust gas analyzer but I do want to go through some rudimentary checks of the O2 circuit, must read up more on that. Along the way, maybe I'l find why my idle is a bit high.
Thanks again...Bruce

Quick Reply: Turbo 101