Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ENGINE GURUs HELP Pls... Piston "Tolerance Group Code" ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 05:57 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Waterguy
Don't mistake book lernin' for real world experience.
Got that right. Experience is what makes a worthwhile engineer from a good student. The Don I responded to was DAR 951 - we race together in the 944SuperCup, and his rebuild is runnign a few weeks ahead of mine. With some luck, I'll learn from his experience and the wisdom of the board.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:00 PM
DAR951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Factory Service Manual, page 13-31, "Checking Pistons and Cylinder Bores." They have identical diameters, but Mahle has slightly tighter tolerances for the standard piston sizes. The diameter tolerance for first oversize (100.5 mm) pistons is +/- 0.007 mm from both Mahle and Kolbenschmidt, so I doubt that it is a big deal.
First, thanks for the reply, I appreciate what a great resource the board is.

Second, just a note that page (13-31) is for the NA motors, although the Turbo suplement shows the same numbers as 13-31 does for the Kolbenschmidt. What it doesn't seem to have (or at least I can't find) are the numbers you have for wear limits. Where were you able to find those specs?
Old 12-22-2004, 06:07 PM
DAR951
Pro

Originally Posted by APKhaos
... his rebuild is runnign a few weeks ahead of mine. With some luck, I'll learn from his experience and the wisdom of the board.
Don't much think I'll be able to stay ahead though (assumming that I really am in the first place.) Litterally zero time between now and VIR... might be OK, if I don't have to pull the block and have any real machine work done... that will pretty much kill making any Feb date. Having said that, you're most welcome to borrow whatever measuring tools you might need/want... between John B. and I, we probably have what you're looking for...
Old 12-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dar951: You really need to get a less common first name in order to keep me from making such embarassing mistakes.

The piston clearance wear limit is on Page 10-02 of the turbo supplement and 10-02a of Volume 1 ("Tolerances and Wear Limits".) Same values for NA and turbo, although it is presented in a more friendly format in volume 1.

The cylinder bore out-of-round wear limit is on page 10-03 of the Turbo supplement and 10-02a of Volume 1 (again, same value for turbos and NA.) Those are the only wear limits i could find that applied to pistons and bores.

It is nice to see you guys doing rebuilds instead of just swapping in used engines. I congratulate you.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:15 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is nice to see you guys doing rebuilds instead of just swapping in used engines. I congratulate you.
Hold the congrats until you hear the engine running post-rebuild, in my case at least. I've rebuilt 911 engines [with Nikasil cylinders], but there seem to be more hidden secrets with the 944 engine and Alusil bores. Learning fast here.

FWIW, just spoke to Dave at Lindsey Racing who was exceptionally helpful. My head is on its way to Lindsay as soon as the engine is dropped. Dave has a nice array of temptations that make it really hard for us stock class racers to say NO! Its a character test just talking to Dave
Old 12-22-2004, 07:58 PM
DAR951
Pro

Dar951: You really need to get a less common first name in order to keep me from making such embarassing mistakes.
Sorry about that, will talk with my parents...

Thanks a ton for doing my homework for me and posting the references... Very much appreciated.

Quick Reply: ENGINE GURUs HELP Pls... Piston "Tolerance Group Code" ???