Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Axle Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004 | 11:31 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2 cents as I just replaced the clutch so had to consider the half shafts.

First on the triple squares. The main reason they are used is that they have more head/shoulder thickness than an allen head so they are stronger, everything else being equal. As long as you have a good drive like a SnapOn and clean the holes out you will never have a problem. You can get the original quality trip square bolts for 90 cents each at retail so why not?

The CV design is not really relying on the 6 bolts to act as a sheer force - it is the friction between the plates which are squeezed together by the bolts. So you want to make sure the faces of the plates are clean and dry - not the easiest with all that grease gloped around but necessary to do correctly. So make sure you have plenty of room and move things carefully.

Many people have the replacement bolts back out and end up with halfshafts spinning or dragging on the pavement. With all the grease from the old situation some of it gets into the threads on the plates. Take a q-tip soaked in acetone or brake cleaner and clean out the threads. Then LocTite blue the bolts. Torque to 30 ft. lbs. (not much actually) and you will be fine.

As far as getting all the individual parts it seems like just buying the full half axles all assembled costs about the same as the individual parts. I have no clue as to quality, though.
Old 12-20-2004 | 11:36 AM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my axles and paragon had a great price for the rebuilt cv and axle pkg. It was about a 2hr job with a lift and a very skilled friend helping.

Quick Reply: Axle Sound?