What is the best A-arm for track use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 03:05 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sm
Would you guys say the Blaszak STEEL arms are a safe choice or do they have their flaws as well?
A couple of years ago I went to these steel arms on the 86. Every year I just replace the ball joints on the spring checkup,...they are very inexpensive and no issues to date. Best buy for the money at the time.

I rebuilt the 87 with the Travis kit with good results. Five events...no problems.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:48 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill
SM,

Chris Cervelli (944 guru) does not recomend the steel arms for track use. See quote below.

The design of the factory ball joint pin is pretty inexcusable. The 360 degree groove pretty much guarantees a failure at the bottom of the groove. The ball joint's play-free life span is incredibly short on a race car as well. Despite this, I am not really in favor of steel arms, modified or not, on GT-type 944s. They are not stiff, and will eventually fail near the inner bushing hole. I am sure they are fine on cars with smaller tires.
This quote/discussion can be found:

Tech info needed: '86 vs. later suspension differences
That Cervelli quote is directed at stock steel arms not the Blazek Arms which are heavily modified steel arms.

That said I have run stock steel arms with great sucess. On my car with limit hp, tire, and weight they work well. Not so sure for high hp, weight big tire tire turbo applications.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, from what I hear the blazek Arms are reinforced well, and no one to date has complained. Just the fact that they are POC approved gives me a comfort level. Seems like the best bang for the buck. I’ll have some data as to how well they hold up on a modified 951 next season.

Quick Reply: What is the best A-arm for track use?