Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Alternator Bearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Chris Layton
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Bearing Question

I have traced a problem on my 89 951 down to a rattling alternator bearing. When I went to go get a part to have pressed in it seems nowhere I call can either sell me a part or give me a part number. The alternator works great and it seems a waste to buy a new one for that one part , so does anyone know of a place that sells them or a part number that I can use to track one down ?

Thanks in advance !
Old 12-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default alternator bearing source

I recently rebuilt the Bosch 140 amp alternator on my BMW 535i, not wanting to spend ~$600 for a new one. For bearings, I got quotes at a good local car parts place of ~$13 and ~$27, respectively, for the two bearings. Then took the stock sealed bearings to a nearby farm implement dealer (Case, but IH or Deere would probably be about the same). They got the part numbers off my old bearings and sold me off-the-shelf equivalents for ~$3 each. No problems after ~6 months daily use.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:41 PM
dmsog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Layton
The alternator works great and it seems a waste to buy a new one for that one part , so does anyone know of a place that sells them or a part number that I can use to track one down ?

Thanks in advance !
You need a 303 for the front and a 201 for the rear. Try to get the (rubber) sealed ones, not the metal shielded ones. The sealed ones seem to have a longer life span the the shielded ones do. Do you have this apart yet?

Doug
PS...replacing the bearings does not constitute a rebuild.

Quick Reply: Alternator Bearing Question