Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is overboost and boost spike protection really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 02:37 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is overboost and boost spike protection really needed?

Just as the title says....Lindseys dual port MBC doesnt have those protections. Are they really needed? I would like to get the MBC to run in dual port mode but Im not sure about not having the extra protection. Thanks

Last edited by 9fitty1; 12-14-2004 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:51 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

What MBC are you referring to? If the Afterburner, it's not dual port, it's dual stage. No MBC is dual port in actively using both ports of a dual port wastegate to maximize boost control.

Sam
Old 12-14-2004, 03:00 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Lindsey Racings black **** one can be used in dual port. That is exaclty what dave told me.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:10 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

So, anyways, are they necessary to have or not?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:25 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No MBC will have anything like that. All the MBC is is a check valve that limits the signal pressure to the wastegate, there are no electronics or sensors.

I think the only way you would be able to accurately monitor boost to ensure no overboosting or spiking would be to get an aftermarket boost gauge that incorporates a warning when a user-defined boost level has been reached.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:26 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude -c'mon - we need about 50000 words more of information to answer that question. We are not talking about a Fisher Price Concrete truck, are we?
Old 12-14-2004, 06:27 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd imagine you'd have more luck with an EBC....
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have some kind of feedback system so they can fine tune boost and keep it where you want it?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:35 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by special tool
Dude -c'mon - we need about 50000 words more of information to answer that question. We are not talking about a Fisher Price Concrete truck, are we?
So what exactly do you need to know? Also, accuboost is a mbc and it has overboost and spike protection...so. I have an aftermarket gauge but no warning light, I think that would be best. It was just a simple question if it makes that big of a diff or not. Without the cycling valve of course. Sorry, I didnt know it was so complicated and I dont really think it is complex. If Im watching my gauge and notice it overboosting, or spiking, will I have enough time to react? That is why I am curious if I need the protection or not....I am sick of breaking stuff.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:39 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rhesus
I'd imagine you'd have more luck with an EBC....
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have some kind of feedback system so they can fine tune boost and keep it where you want it?
Yes, they have to have that in order to work, otherwise they wouldnt know when to open their valve (be it stepper motor, solenoid(S), or whatever).

Something that can help prevent boost spiking and such with some MBCs is to drill a bleed hole. Reliaboost have these, its a 0.7MM hole drilled on the wastegate side of the valve. This bleeds air and prevents spiking, and the issue where during high boost the wastegate opens early cause air stays trapped under pressure in the hose between the WG and MBC. If this is something you want to do, the drillbit should be available in many electronics shops/supply stores, as that size bit is the standard size of many electonric parts (ie resistors) and is thus used for drilling circuit boards. Might wanna buy two, theyre pretty fragile and it doesnt take much to snap them.

The other option is a small hole in the hose, but thats a little trickier. Its kinda hard to get a REALLY small hole in a rubber hose, guess how I know? Hint, shortly after breaking a drillbit, the only one id purchased...
Old 12-14-2004, 07:43 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
So what exactly do you need to know? Also, accuboost is a mbc and it has overboost and spike protection...so. I have an aftermarket gauge but no warning light, I think that would be best. It was just a simple question if it makes that big of a diff or not. Without the cycling valve of course. Sorry, I didnt know it was so complicated and I dont really think it is complex. If Im watching my gauge and notice it overboosting, or spiking, will I have enough time to react? That is why I am curious if I need the protection or not....I am sick of breaking stuff.
Yes to protection... Its kinda like the question "If im "with a girl" without a condom, will I have time to pull out before the gun goes off?". Sure, you might a few times. Then youre not paying attention that ONE time, and BAM! youre a father, er uh, of a blown headgasket.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:44 PM
poormans9fitty1
Banned

Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2004, 07:59 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay - since you edited your first post, I am starting to understand.

I have a Lindsey black **** in dual port - before that I had spring ball check valve in dual and single mode. I hae NEVER had an overboost problem.
If you do, it is likely that there is too much tension on your signal line check.

You WILL overboost easily with the lindsey **** if you install it wrong, or are INSENSITIVE to the tolerance of the valve - 1/4 turn gives me ONE POUND with 15 psi Tial.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:04 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Well, I really didnt edit anything to reword it so I think you just reread it. Anyways, that is what i was looking to hear so thanks. theedge, I fully understand now thanks, heh.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:05 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

So with the MBC in dual port mode the boost should tech hold better to redline, with just a slight diff in spool up time, but I have heard that I cant tell the diff in spool up.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:10 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

fwiw, to clarify, the accuboost does not have 'overboost and spike protection' as such. it just has a bleed hole that reduces the boost spike. your car will happily overboost itself to bits if something else goes wrong, eg your wastegate hose breaks off.

Quick Reply: Is overboost and boost spike protection really needed?