Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

engine dies at 140mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 03:46 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you guys think Germany is crazy, dont go to Venezula Down there the speed limit is similar to the US, but no one obeys it. I was down there a few years back with my mom and bro visiting my moms family. My grandmother (who was like 80 or 82 at that time) took us for a trip. On the highway, the limit was 100KM/H (60MPH) IIRC. Shes cruising at EASILY twice that, and talking to the three of us. Scary thing was, she was getting passed, by cops with their lights off. Then you look on the far right shoulder of the road, and you see the stereotypical POS vehicles putting along under the speed limit on the shoulder. These vehicles looked fresh OUT of the junkyard.

You get into the city and everyone does pretty much whatever. Need to do a U Turn? Do it. The dedicated left lanes are left lanes + U Turn lanes, legal or not. Everyone yells and screams and honks, but there wasnt any "road rage". Thirsty? Buy a coconut with a straw in it, or a cup of sugar cane juice from a vendor. Just lock all your doors, so you still have your car when you get to wherever it is youre going. For houses, picture a small jail. Thats what most houses look like. My grandparents house had a 12 foot high wall around it, with spikes on top. Enclosing their whole place, and separating them from neighbors, including their garden. All but the highest windows were barred.

Then you get to the mountain roads. Most of them dont have a shoulder OR guard rails, you see the painted line that marks the edge of the road, and boom a few inches later its a sheer cliff. You can bribe yourself out of almost anything, all the cops are corrupt as hell so speeding tickets arent a huge worry.

But damn, one day I want to take my car down there. Once you get over the lack of guard rails, the mountain roads are utterly amazing, high in the air looking out over endless pristine jungle. Gas is pennies a liter, people get right pissed off when it goes above like 10 cents a gallon. The scenery is gorgeous, and it would be amazing to drive along the coast with the sunroof off. Of course the last time I was there, I neglected to wear sunscreen, so I lost the top four or five layers of skin on my back from swimming in a resort pool, then promptly got serious food posisoning from a Shark Meat Empanada made with bad water. Sun burn + sun stroke + generally being unable to cope with hot climate + food poisoning + jet lag all rolled into one = Whoa momma!

</ramble>
Old 12-14-2004, 04:08 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked if your alternator is charging? Do the dashboard lights go on when the car shuts off?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:27 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Originally Posted by Jon Moeller
I hate America and it's useless speed limits.
Yep, just what we need here:

Morons eating, drinking, dialing and driving on crappy roads at 150mph!

I'd walk...
Old 12-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Got Me a Porsha
Yep, just what we need here:

Morons eating, drinking, dialing and driving on crappy roads at 150mph!

I'd walk...
LOL, I see you just got home from your daily commute. Nothing like I-10 and 7th street in the afternoon to really get you pissed off at the world.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Try driving around here in LA-la land during "rush hour" (basically goes from 5am to 11pm). Nothing like being caught in a sea of endless overpriced SUVs with bling-bling rims and the world's most inattentive jackasses behind the wheel. . . At least you hardly get over 20mph so you'd probably survive a collision, assuming they didn't run you over without noticing.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:30 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, after being in LA for awhile, I actually don't mind driving in places with aggressive drivers -- at least they're paying attention.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:32 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

alternator seem to be charging according to the guage at about 12.5. none of the lights go out.
i noticed the a/f guage was reading on the lean side on idle, well the lowest red, and it kinda fluctuates, i have to squint to really notice the rpm guage move but i can surely feel and hear the difference in idle.
ireplaced the dme relay just now and i'm reading yellow mid on the a/f guage and a little less irregularity on the idle.
any thoughts?
tia everyone
Old 12-15-2004, 03:52 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Igtnition related? did you check the cap, rotor and conidtion of plugs??
Old 12-15-2004, 06:56 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

ref sensors?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
LOL, I see you just got home from your daily commute. Nothing like I-10 and 7th street in the afternoon to really get you pissed off at the world.
Yep, two hours of dealing with morons with the bargaining power of the Mazda-rati (or rather lack-of) and you've got me...

Smokin' and drinkin' in the dark again
Old 12-16-2004, 07:20 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

installed other dme relay and hasn't stalled yet.
thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: engine dies at 140mph