Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that's just cold. . .
Old 12-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Now that's just cold. . .
I own 2 U.S. spec 944s. Brought one back to Europe and it's been a fun experience "refreshing" the suspension parts to get it confortable at normal highway speeds here. What doesn't matter much at 80 mph can be a total nightmare at 130.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:50 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I replaced a dme chip years ago and after the installation my car was acting in the same manner. It turned out being a cold solder joint on the dme board. I guess the jarring around while installing the chips contributed to the problem. Pretty easy fix with a soldering iron.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:27 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by smkn951
i'll try 150, with guru chip statesing 167 top.
Yea, My Guru chip is supposed to support 75lb injectors.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:02 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's a U.S. spec car.yes sir.
true, cars do well over 150 here and it's normal.
i usually get passed by bmw benz, audi, opels and occasionally vw station wagons.
is there a certain reading i should look for on the dme relay? does anyone have a specs. i'll be using a multi-meter.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:07 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

opps duh, DME CHIP all this time i've been thinking relay.
so is there reading i should be reading on the multi-meter?
why is it hard to believe for a U.S. spec car to go 140+, going on 20yrs old?
again tia everyone.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:14 AM
JLeake
Racer

Your problem also could be a bad solder joint on one of the ECU circuit boards (at the leads of the transistor that fires the ignition). Do a search...it has been covered before. You can replace the ECU to address it, or resolder it yourself for free. That's the recommended route, of course
Old 12-14-2004, 12:18 AM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

i'm pretty sure it could be the relay as well.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:11 AM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

speaking of speed limits in europe, 3 years ago, i visited my youger brother in paris and we went for a road though most of europe, we were driving a 1998 passat vr6, pretty fast car. to make a long story short, since it was a rental car we decided to take the car to its max when we were in germany(around 10 pm) , i was filming the speedometer when it reached 215 km/h (135mph) , was the first time in that kind of speed, and the passat was stable like train. anyway, at that speed we were passing all cars, until this blinding light behind us just passed by us like we were still.r , sworn it was a car until we were sharing the film with some friends, and realized they were 2 sport bikes riding perfectly next each other. they were doing at least 300kmh (thats pretty much flying).
i just sent my brother an email to see if he still have a copy of the tape, i will post it if still around.
its incredible how fast people drive in europe with no fear, and the funny thing is that their deaths from accidents are a friction of the us deaths, and airbags there are still an option. that tells you how bad amercains drive no to mention 90% of people here dont even know how to drive a 5 speed.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:00 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smkn951
Why is it hard to believe for a U.S. spec car to go 140+, going on 20yrs old?
Not at all. I was just pulling your leg. It is, however, kind of like prepping a track car in that some of the things you can live with at lower speed just don't cut it when you're pushing the car to the limit.

Don't know how local these guys are to you are in Germany, but they are quite good and have used parts, in case you want to try servicing or replacing your DME:

http://www.mittelmotor.de
Old 12-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A major difference is that in Europe you actually need skills to obtain a driver's license. A good friend of mine told me what the driving test was like for his UK license - pretty tough. Also the Eurpoean mindset is a lot different - too many people in the US that just fritter about with their brains on autopilot half the time - especially when driving. Here also if you have a pulse and 40 bucks you can get a license. . . and now we're going to be giving them out to illegal aliens from the sound of it. . .

It's yet another area where the U.S.'s hubris makes us look stupid - we claim that "driving is a privilege, not a right" to justify taking peoples' licenses away but then dish them out like they're going out of style to any bozo that wants one because they're such a source of revenue. Here, automobiles, the licensing and registration and insurance processes are all about revenue - the benefits of driver skill, safety, education, and the rest are incidental. Truly sad.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:47 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"its incredible how fast people drive in europe with no fear, and the funny thing is that their deaths from accidents are a friction of the us deaths, and airbags there are still an option. that tells you how bad amercains drive no to mention 90% of people here dont even know how to drive a 5 speed."

The freeways and autobahns in Europe are SO much better than the US roads. Smooth, fast, safe. At 140mph, I know of several areas on the 101 that you can actually catch some air...
Old 12-14-2004, 03:02 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

another day gone it seems to get worse. it actually stalled when i crossed the street to make a left turn and a strassenbahn was upcomming on my a$$. finaaly just held the ignition switch till it started about 30 seconds.
count of stalles today=7, though it didn't stall on the autobahn. i just kept it 125 mph.
i'll try to replace the dme relay and see if that helps, i'll keep ya'll poste. but in the meantime please keep the suggestions coming.
tia everyone.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:15 PM
turbo8
Pro

man therres so much road construction here i was able to catch air going 70mph on a beltway here, i doubled the jump though so it wasnt a hard landing. :-)
Old 12-14-2004, 03:23 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

man o man, it's hard enough trying to keep the car stuck on the ground due to the unexpected black ice. jumping, catching air etc with this car........................my pockets aren't as deep as some of ya'll, just be safe in doing so.........AIR951" traveling the unfriendly streets sometime sky"
hey wait a sec.. ya'll think if i get one of those big wings on the other imports i may be able to get longer hang time?
just a thought.

Quick Reply: engine dies at 140mph