Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone reseal P/S rack on their own? Experiences? Please post...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004 | 03:02 PM
89951DREAMER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone reseal P/S rack on their own? Experiences? Please post...

I need to address the power steering leaks on my 951S and wondered if anyone had had any luck resealing the rack. I have seen reseal kits on Ebay for about $60-$70. I just got a quote from Carquest for a reman rack for $499. Resealing it myself is looking like a viable option if there aren't any special tools required. Thanks.

Ian
Old 12-11-2004 | 03:07 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PO replaced the rack seals himself, he told me that he followed rannbay's instructions.

So far, 30K+ and no problems :http://www.rennbay.com/sealtutorial1.html

I hope this helped, and if you are going to tackle the rack yourself or get a rebuilt one, always clean out the fluid res.
Old 12-11-2004 | 03:12 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the only thing about rebuilding a rack is to keep it clean. A clean rack is a happy rack.. and I am not talking about the outside.
Also, no matter what, don't forget to clean out or replace your reservoir. It has a filter in it that collects the gunk that made your rack leak in the first place.

http://www.rennbay.com/powersteering.html
Old 12-11-2004 | 03:19 PM
89951DREAMER
Instructor

Thanks for the quick replies. I have already replace the reservoir and all of the hoses. This fixed about 80% of the leaks. Unfortunately, there is fluid leaking from the accordian boots on the rack. It's not bad, but the rest of the car is completely leak-free and I'd like to take car of it. BTW, do you guys run ATF or Pentosin? I'm currently using Pentosin CH11S. I was told this was the correct fluid.
Old 12-11-2004 | 03:22 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use ATF, are the leaks on the driver's or passenger side boots? could be that one (or more) of those metals line(s) o-rings failed and leaking?

But if the boots themselves are filled internally, then the rack is shot.
Old 12-11-2004 | 11:55 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I resealed my rack and no problems at all...Get the kit from www.rennbay.com and you'll be fine. Travis has a great step by step write-up on the entire procedure.
Old 12-12-2004 | 01:13 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just resealed my rack. It takes some patience but it can be done. Definetly order the rack from Travis as he is the only one who includes one of the plastic seals in the kit. TRUST ME, you really really want this in the kit you buy and it is definetly worth whatever few bucks you could have saved by going with a different one on ebay. One thing I did was to take a medium sized flat tip screwdriver and bent the tip into an "L" so that really helped pulling the seals out. Travis has great support and a good write up. Also, be sure to leave the tie-rod ends on the car before removing, I added a few extra hours removing those along with the rack. Any questions either PM or just talk to Travis as he has tons more experience. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Anyone reseal P/S rack on their own? Experiences? Please post...