Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

"Affordable" Borescopes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Redshift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post "Affordable" Borescopes

I have been thinking that it would be cool to inspect a bore without having to remove then head - the time savings would be enormous. So I found this reasonably priced fiberoptic scope by a company called Pro Vision:

http://www.provision100.com/products_b.html

The model 636's price is around $250. From what I can tell, the Pro Vision's cable is flexible but not the maneuverable type like the military uses; the field of view is limited to 40 degrees. Has anyone here used one of these scopes? What could you see or not see? I am trying to determine if this could be a useful tool or merely a toy.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:45 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Fantastic find!
Old 12-11-2004, 12:42 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

they are not that great, I have used one and there are severe limits to what you can see. The field of view is fairly narrow, if you want to look at the top of the piston, it works fine, but if you want to look at a cyl. wall or the valves, you can't.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:37 AM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

To properly inspect a bore you need tools like a micrometer, feeler gauge, and a t-gauge. If you buy that tool and you see a scored cylinder for example, you will have no idea how deep the score is, so what is the point. You are going to have to remove the head then anyway. I would just do a leakdown test to inspect the bore, or at worst a compression test.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:13 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

I have an Idea... what about one of the small, micro CCD cameras with an LED hi intensity light strapped to it??
These as super cheap and you could attach it to a stiff wire, drop it in the spark plug hole and view on a laptop.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why wouldn't you be able to inspect a cylinder wall? Just insert it through the spark plug hole with a small "L" 90-degree bend near the head (according to the site, the camera / light cable retains its set geometry) and slowly rotate it. As long as that piston is at or close to BDC you should get a nice look at the cylinder walls. . .

Of course a compression & leakdown tester is only about $70.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:25 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Of course a compression & leakdown tester is only about $70.
Exactly, and this will not only tell you the condition of the cylinders, it will tell you what exactly is wrong. For example, if the exhaust valve seat is leaking, you will hear the air from the leakdown tester exiting through the exhaust. I say go for a leakdown tester, as a compression test does not tell you much more than how much compression each cylinder is making.

Quick Reply: "Affordable" Borescopes