Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nize, i like the way you think
Old 12-10-2004 | 10:45 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Agreed on how fast it can be done by a competent mechanic. My wrench said that if everything goes right (e.g. no stuck fasteners and such), he can have it done in 6 hours w/ the 2-piece x-over.

If you really feel it needs to be replaced, see if you can find someone who will charge you actual hours rather than book. I think book is 14 hours w/ the 2-piece x-over.

I've changed mine w/ the help of my brother. Print out Kevin Gross' procedure and get to work. It simply takes a long time to remove all of those pieces that need to come out to get to the clutch. Nothing really technical about it. You'll need some special bits for the driveshafts and flywheel bolts, but that's about it.
Old 12-10-2004 | 10:46 AM
jace
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Nize on this - for 14k you can purchase near perfection in these cars - things unexpected happen - but this is too soon for the previous owner to not have known.

BTW, Karl - most times it is not the relative difficulty of a task that gets in the way. I simply have a tough time telling my kid that I won't make her game because I'm working on the car. I'm fortunate to have the money to allow me the ability to make these calls - I realize others don't necessarily have a choice. Once the kids are off to college, I'll have plenty of time to enjoy my time under the car!
Old 12-10-2004 | 10:49 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I am fully in agreement with Nize, I didn't realize the purchase price. Was there a PPI done?

This could just be a system in need of bleed, as others have said.
Old 12-10-2004 | 10:50 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Jumping to conclusions...

Don't be quick to decide you need a clutch. What you're describing does not at all sound like a clutch disc/pressure plate problem. It sounds like a hydro. problem, or flexing of the firewall (due to leaking clutch master cylinder, usually weakenning/rusting away that region). If you're being told it is the clutch, you may want to look for another place to do your work.
Ahmet
Old 12-10-2004 | 10:50 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Karl: Well, the PO and record show that the clutch was replaced in 10 hours, but you are pretty close and that was done but a different mechanic, i am using a different one
Old 12-10-2004 | 11:02 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jace
BTW, Karl - most times it is not the relative difficulty of a task that gets in the way. I simply have a tough time telling my kid that I won't make her game because I'm working on the car. I'm fortunate to have the money to allow me the ability to make these calls - I realize others don't necessarily have a choice. Once the kids are off to college, I'll have plenty of time to enjoy my time under the car!
Yea, everyone has lives, sometimes it takes staying up till 2 in the morning on a few nights to get things done. There is always time, it just may take a few weeks to put all the time together
Old 12-10-2004 | 11:09 AM
jace
Intermediate

Karl - your description of what it would have taken for me is right on. It was those 2am nights and the three weeks with the car off the road that I was able to avoid by having someone else do the work!
Old 12-10-2004 | 11:39 AM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm with Ahmet, I had the same problem and it was the clutch master, I didn't see any leaks outside of the cabin but it was leaking into the inside footwell area. Also check the spring in the footwell area for pedal return.
Old 12-10-2004 | 11:46 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Booster: If memory serve correctly, didn't Porsche re-design/replace the green spring with a black one?

I also stated that you need to bleed the clutch master cylinder before jumping to conclusions (as Ahmet said also).
Old 12-10-2004 | 11:55 AM
Porsche951redt
Racer

I did bleed the clutch already and checked the slave cylinder those are in working order and no leaks. As for going back to the person who sold it he is a very relaible source and would have warned me of the problmen. He is one of the co-head-chair members of Porsche Canada besides Angie and her husband. I dont know if this helps but this only happens when i release the clutch fast at high revs. When im doing normal shiftings its totaly fine but when i get to 6k+ rmps then shift into 3rd it gets stuck halfway. As for actualy replacing the clutch myself i dont think im that technicaly inclined to do that. I have a feeling that the problem is whithin the clutch setup itself not in pressure plates etc.

Appreciate the input you guys might be saving me alot of $$
Old 12-10-2004 | 12:58 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The pressure plate is part of the clutch assembly. It is what pushes the clutch disc against the flywheel.
Old 12-10-2004 | 01:05 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Hehe, changing a clutch is easy, it just takes some patience on this car.
AND
Saving for my first car, Porsche 944 Turbo. Going to buy it as soon as I find the right one in my area.
So you dont have one, have probably never worked on one and you are handing out advice? The clutch in the 951 is probably among the top 5 worst clutch jobs out there. Depending on who you ask it is the worst (but we are jaded). When it is easier to pull the engine than do the clutch you should have an indication how time consuming this is. Put a 1 piece crossover back on and you will know whay they charge so much. I would say this is a job not suited to beginners because it will take you a fair amount of time, you will probably get frustrated and/or forget where things go. Is it a doable home job? Sure is.

BTW, it sounds like you have a master or slave that has failed internally.
Old 12-10-2004 | 01:22 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Just wondering real quick. I have an '87. Do 87+ have the 2 piece x-over pipe? My dad had to have the clutch replaced on the way home from picking it up in arizona. Around 20 hours of labor he was charged! Your problem does not sound like anything internal, like people said check your pedal assembly.. and master... and so forth...
Old 12-10-2004 | 02:04 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

87 and up cars do have the 2 piece cross over pipe.

By the way, great point on the clutch pedal assist spring as well. I believe there's been several versions, starting with a green spring for the early turbos (failure prone) then a blue one (less likely to fail, and appears to be stronger). I cannot recall where they went from there. This spring breaking would have very similar symptoms to what's being described as well...
Ahmet

Quick Reply: 3000$! SON OF A