yellwish foam in oil filler tube

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 09:13 AM
EJ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yellwish foam in oil filler tube

I have that yellowish foam in my oil filler tube so I know I have problems. I don't have the chocolate milk shake so I 'm hoping that it's not my head gasket which ws professionally replaced about ten months ago. What about the OPRV stuff that Tom M. is going through? What are some other culprits?I am noticing a small loss of coolant. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Eric
Old 12-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Flight_951
Pro

Sounds like oil cooler seals.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:51 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Hi Eric. It is not necessarily anything bad. I get a build up of yellow foam around the oil filler cap but I also do alot of short, stop/start journeys. It is more pronounced in cold winter weather when the engine doesn't get a chance to properly warm up. It is quite common amongst 944's in the chilly UK. Mind you, I doubt you get much cold weather in sunny Florida!
Old 12-06-2004, 01:39 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Meek makes a good point, there is often condensation in that tube which mixes and oil which make you freak out when you first see it. Take it for a long run (which should not be hard to convince you of ) and see how it looks.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:02 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

I found it reduces if you back off the cap slightly (around 1/16th of a turn) the caps seem to bite harder than you turn them - they require more pressure to undo than you used tightening them - and mine has never come loose using the tighten, then back off a bit method.

Tony
Old 12-06-2004, 02:44 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

If you are losing coolant, and getting the slime even after long warm drives, then the odds are that it is either your oil housing seals or head gasket (assuming you have ruled out external coolant leaks -- any coolant smell when hot?). Check your coolant tank for signs of oil too. Head gaskets tend to make themselves known if you wait long enough (overheating, steam in the exhaust, steam-cleaned spark plug, coolant out the exhaust, lumpy idle, etc.) Of course, you put your rod bearings at risk if you wait that long, so it is best to sort it out before it gets to that point. If you do the work yourself, there is ample experience on rennlist to walk you through it. I've done both the head gasket and oil seals now.

Quick Reply: yellwish foam in oil filler tube