Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AZ Rennlisters Respond!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 01:24 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I go through Paragon Products or RMR ( that is cash/check only parts place a Stuttgart). I have gone through RMR for a number of parts and have always had a good experience. Bob is one man show there.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:04 PM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks, this string is cold but you guys are wayyyyy off on Exotic Motorwerks. That crap was totally undeserved.

Dan know's these cars cold and after 6 months of being jerked around by Porsche North Scottsdale (they bought me a new radiator and head gasket, don't get me started...) I took it to Ken @ Zuffenhausen. He's awesome but problem is that you need to schedule repairs out 3 weeks... Since then I never took my old NA and recent S2 cab to anyone but Dan at Exotic. Completely honest and most knowledgable folks I've run into.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:56 PM
faithless
Pro

Originally Posted by AZ944
Hey folks, this string is cold but you guys are wayyyyy off on Exotic Motorwerks. That crap was totally undeserved.

Dan know's these cars cold and after 6 months of being jerked around by Porsche North Scottsdale (they bought me a new radiator and head gasket, don't get me started...) I took it to Ken @ Zuffenhausen. He's awesome but problem is that you need to schedule repairs out 3 weeks... Since then I never took my old NA and recent S2 cab to anyone but Dan at Exotic. Completely honest and most knowledgable folks I've run into.
How long have you been going there? Maybe they cleaned up their act, cause I'm sure Jeremy is not lieing about the stories he has heard.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

How so? So your the local service expert? I think your "crap" is based on a lack of information. Anytime I hear someone use the term "awesome" when referring to a shop or tuner it tells me something. I'm glad you had a good experience with Dan, others have not. I'm having a little Porsche get together in a month or so. Feel free to stop by and take a survey on service. We'll see how much crap my post was.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:10 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ooh a get together, isnt that most weekends at your house?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by azmi951
ooh a get together, isnt that most weekends at your house?
Naah, what you saw was just the average Saturday. I'm talking about something that'll really **** my wife off.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd like to lobby for this get-together to be late March.

Sam
Old 01-20-2005, 04:08 PM
faithless
Pro

How many Rennlisters/other owners are there in the immediate area? I've been adding names to my buddy list when I notice theyre in the valley. I think I have about 7 now.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:14 PM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

Damn, i must have hit a nerve... Jeremy, no, not the local expert, just a guy who got screwed over by a Penske owned shop (@ $100/hour) because their techs don't know **** about the 944. You don't like them don't go there and realize not everyone gets screwed over. I'm curious to hear when and what they did that was so wrong.

Last edited by AZ968Cab; 01-20-2005 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-20-2005, 06:12 PM
z3bra
Racer

I don't really have an opinion on Exotic one way or another as I've only bought parts from them a few times and they've been fine to deal with in that regard.

I can however say that Jeremy is not in any way a competitor of theirs. Jeremy has helped me out on a number of things with regard to parts he's had laying around, tools, advice etc, but he doesn't own a shop, he just helps people at his house and isn't doing it to generate income. He's not offering the advice to take business away from Exotic, he's just trying to keep people from having the same thing happen to them that you had happen at the dealership.

As for myself, I'm sure that Exotic knows the 944's better than the dealership does since they just don't see 944's that often anymore. Dan does do a lot with the 944spec racing as I understand it so I'd expect he's got a very good amount of knowledge about the cars. On the other hand, I don't know how good of a mechanic he is. Just because someone knows a great deal about something on a theoretical level doesn't necessarily make them good at it on a practical one. Again, I don't have any first hand experience with Exotic aside from buying parts and haven't really heard much second hand either so it's not my place to make a judgement call on the quality of their work. If, however, like Jeremy, I had heard a lot of mixed things from people in town that have used them, it probably would make me leery of going there. That's why I just do things on my own. I find enough stupid crap on my own car from the previous owner(s) as it is but for all I know it may have even been shops doing the job halfassed not the owners themselves. Sure it takes me longer to fix it than a shop would because I'm not in a hurry to get the next car in and bill more book hours than there are in a day. I don't necessarily have the parts on hand like a shop does so that doesn't help with getting things done quickly. On the other hand at least I know that it's done right and often better than it should be. I'm usually improving things such as fasteners compared to the stock parts in the interest of future maintenance.

I don't think smaller specialty shops like Exotic are necessarily crooked and inherently trying to rip you off like a Midas or dealer might be. As for the United Auto Group places, they're still dealerships, but it's been my experience that they are a bit less crooked than some of the local boys like Earnhardt's and so forth. (even if none of the local yokels are Porsche dealerships)

You may have had a good experience with them, others haven't. Jeremy isn't shilling for himself or anyone else. He's just trying to keep other people from having a bad experience based on his information.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn, i must have hit a nerve... Jeremy, no, not the local expert, just a guy who got screwed over by a Penske owned shop (@ $100/hour) because their techs don't know **** about the 944. You don't like them don't go there and realize not everyone gets screwed over. I'm curious to hear when and what they did that was so wrong.
So you got screwed over buy a local shop and Exotic did you right and now they're awesome? That's fine. My story involves a car that got screwed over by Exotic and I got it sorted out. I guess I'm awesome now. You didn't strike a nerve, you just called my post crap without knowing very much about me or the experience. In case you didn't read my second post, I am just stating what I have saw and know. Dan, the shop owner, I hear is a very good water cooled wrench. As far as he rest of his staff, I can't say the same for but maybe that has changed. A far as my crap goes, I recommended that a buddy of mine try them out and they screwed him without the courtesy of a reacharound so it'll be a long time before I recommend them again. It's that simple. I tend to do a lot of "help" on these cars locally and a few of the guys on this post can vouch for it. Most of the cars that I "help" on, have been to other places and been screwed royally. You know, most of the people on this list probably think I'm full of **** and I really don't care. The guys that have been at my house in the last year or so know better.......... Rennlist represents 1/100th of my Porsche social life.

As far as the AZ 944/951 guys go, not many of us post but many of them lurk. I know of five or six that read but don't post. I think most of them were at my house this weekend drinking all my my beer.

Now for the important stuff, get togethers. In Feb. I'm going to have two Poker-Smokers (poker, beer, food, cigars). It's not limited to Porsche guys but it will be full of car guys so everyone is welcome. I have a cigar stash that I need to deplete and a wife I want to **** off. I was thinking sometime in march for a get together at my place so I'll be sure to mail the local guys.

For the lukers out there, now's your time to post...........
Old 01-21-2005, 01:06 AM
faithless
Pro

No hard feelings I hope.

If any of you guys are looking or interested in an S2 cab, here is one in Scottsdale:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...1981&cardist=8 Just listed this week, online ads drop sometime on Thursday (today), so if you call soon you'll be a leg up on most buyers.

This is the same guy selling an 88 Turbo which I have a hunch is an S, but I didnt get to check the engine number. When I was looking at the Turbo, he invited us to look at his other cars, and the 91 S2 he is selling was parked next to his Testarosa.... (hes rich as hell) He takes his cars to Don Jackson and theyre in tremendous shape. That S2 is flawless let me tell you first hand, but for being so rich, he is VERY VERY hard to talk down... he is into real estate...hehe dont even try to lowball.

Just if anybody is interested.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Exotic Motorwerks
Track Day

First, I'd like to thank our customer for responding to this thread and bringing it to my attention. I do not know who Jeremy is so I cannot pass judgment on him or his post. I would expect the same from him, but it appears as if misinformation has jaded his view of our shop. I would only ask that Jeremy not pass judgment until he has come to our shop and met us.

I am well aware of the customer Jeremy speaks of. He refused the work necessary to properly repair his car and did some work himself.... I can only imagine what that might have been. Since we offer a two year parts and labor warranty on all of our work, why did the customer not come back? Two reasons, he refused the appropriate work which left his car in the condition Jeremy first saw it in. When it left our shop it did not build boost among other things. The second reason is that we allowed the customer to use his car to "go to the bank" to get funds to pay his bill. We are still waiting for him. Although the account has been sent to collections..... we have never been paid for the work we did do.

There are always two sides to every story and it is usually best to reserve judgment until hearing both sides. We'd like to meet any of you, but if you are satisfied with your shop and the service you are receiving, keep working with them. We have received cars and customers from every shop mentioned above. Each of those customers has had serious and legitimate complaints. I always give the shop the benefit of the doubt because many times a customer will ask you to cut corners.

Regards to all of you.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:51 PM
pvoth
Racer

Default Exotic Motorwerks

Exotic Motorwerks is #1 no one else would/will touch my pcar besides me..
they have much knowledge and have always treated me super!!
p
Old 01-22-2005, 06:44 PM
faithless
Pro

Yolanda,
Are you the shop owner?

Quick Reply: AZ Rennlisters Respond!