Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking for recommendation for international shipper to Australia

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 04:46 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for recommendation for international shipper to Australia

Hopefully, soon, I will be offered a job in Perth, Australia. If and when that happens I want to jump on it right away. I want to take my 951. Now that it is 15 years old, I believe I can ship it over and drive it without converting it to right hand drive in WA.

Looking for recommendations on which shipper to use from the states and any other advice on going through the paperwork. I think OZ951 did this recently but I think he only tracks his car over there. I will be driving mine daily.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:59 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome! But Perth is so far away! Why not go to the East coast?

I think that you can avoid import duty (which is HUGE) if you have owned the car for longer than 2 years... keep that in mind.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:16 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Oh ****, I never thought of import duty. I was hoping that it was only a year you had to own it. If its 2 years then I might just sell it locally because I have owned it for less.

As for why not the East Coast, the companies I am talking to are all Perth based........bummer eh?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:21 PM
NZ951
Race Director

You will just need to learn the banjo if you move to Perth, and will have a dingo as a pet...

IIRC, import duty is 25%, maybe even more... however, you car will double in value when you get there... not sure about it being LHD and price though.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:35 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Having just worked out what the deal really is, I am looking at about 7 grand US in duties based on my purchase price and depreciation, then I will have something not really worth that much anyway and not really that easy to sell as it will be a left hooker.....I guess I'll think of selling it locally
Old 12-04-2004, 11:19 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Look on the bright side, you could buy a RHD 951 and replicate what you have done for about 3 times what it has cost you so far when you get to Aussie Oh hang on, thats more bad...
Old 12-05-2004, 03:24 AM
DanR 1201
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if it is all doom and gloom here. There are some sort of concessions for cars over 15 years old and if they're coming as an immigrant or with a working visa. Don't know what the concessions are exactly but start searching the aussie sites. Start with www.swanporsche.com.au who bring in a lot of older Porsches both for wrecking and retail. They are in Perth as well. Another importer (who retails) is www.victorianamericanimports.com. Also try www.carpoint.com.au/uniquecars and even get their monthly magazine Unique Cars, which often lists a lot of importing brokers etc. It also will give you an idea of local values for your decision whether it is worth the effort. Try carsales.com.au or drive.com.au or carpoint.com.au for more info as to how much people try to sell their cars for. Good luck and send me a pm if you want to know anything else. If I can't help I may be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:13 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Thanks DanR, great links. My inital guestimate of cost was based on the duty calcualtion worksheets on the Australian customs website. As far as I can tell, the only concessions on 15yr and older are the ability to drive it as a left hooker some other details around ownership. I think the duty is still the same and based on purchase value. Anyway, I'll keep looking into this and see what I can turn up.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:52 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by B951S
Thanks DanR, great links. My inital guestimate of cost was based on the duty calcualtion worksheets on the Australian customs website. As far as I can tell, the only concessions on 15yr and older are the ability to drive it as a left hooker some other details around ownership. I think the duty is still the same and based on purchase value. Anyway, I'll keep looking into this and see what I can turn up.
Ok, you still have to pay duty cos you have not owned it for more than two years, so sell it to me for $1, then buy it back for $1, I will even give you a receipt

Quick Reply: Looking for recommendation for international shipper to Australia