Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sideways at 100 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thomas - how can you come up with these figures when you don't even know the temperature in my town?? You are missing soo much info, yet you think you have enough to deny a DATALOG??
You didn't even know I had a cam before you contradicted me.
Seriously, these guys are going to start ignoring you because you make blind claims before you have ANY info - This is the behavior of a crazy person.
Ok, then I should blindly believe all misinformation that circulates around this list?
Yeah, I'm missing a lot of information but from what I have I can make an educated guess.
A normal sport tire will easily generate a friction coefficient of 0.9.
A 951 weights around 3300 lb with driver. During acceleration that is so hard that you spin the rear tires, at lest 60% of the weight will be on the rear tires.
With this information and your statement that you traveled at 100 mph I can calculate the power needed to spin the rear tires.
I agree that this is an rough estimation but still it gives an idea of the power needed.

If you did this on a very cold day on slippery tarmac then the power need will be much lower.
The same applies for the speed, if it wasn't at 100 mph, then the power needed will be something else.
Either way your information was exaggerated or incorrect and if it makes me crazy when pointing that out, then so be it.

Tomas
Old 12-04-2004, 05:13 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car weighs 2740 pounds.
An educated guess means your are EDUCATED wth sufficient information to draw a conclusion.

Even though my lighter weight reinforces YOUR point, it also validates mine, in that you look before you leap.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:16 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So you weigh around 560lbs, you must have one fat *** Lutjen... lol
Old 12-04-2004, 05:17 PM
special tool
Banned

I am 235 pounds of dummy
Old 12-04-2004, 05:46 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Tomas, When I started Vitesse (even now) many people were struggling to get 350rwhp. When I did 400rwhp, people said it can't be done. When I hit 450rwhp they said it can't be done. So I'm not surprised here! If I did the test myself, people question the results. Getting a customer to report his own results is questioned as well. Oh well, some do, some look outside the box, some must do it on their own to be real, some always doubt that it can be done.
The first posts which I reacted to were when special tool said he spun the tires at 100 mph and you stated that it was at 20+ psi. That later increased to 23-24 psi which made the situtation a little better.
Are you saying that this combination, as is in Special tools car, makes 480 rwhp at 23-24 psi? It seems to me that you are implying that. I have a very hard time believing that, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Given your expertise, what is the speed of the car at 4th gear, 4200rpm (275x40 - 17, standard 951 gears).? How do you explain the sharp increase in RPM (no clutch slip, loose rear-end)?
If I used the right values, the speed will be 92 mph. This will lower the power needed to 444 rwhp. Still a little high but if the grip was low (cold day, slippery tarmac) then we will be closer to 400 rwhp which sounds more reasonable.

You know, none of this matters.. Dyno tells the real story. Vitesse (unlike many others) always publish the dyno results, and the new Stage 3 and new Stage 2 results will be published as well.
Yes, you do, but at least the dyno charts on your website is hardly readable and they lack information about the test conditions. I may have missed this but I have never seen you clarify this by telling which boost and what other modifications that were done.

Finally, I have to say that I have nothing against you or your products. Many people here witness about your excellent service. Maybe due to that I have a little higher expectations on the information you supply here, than I would from other sources.

Tomas
Old 12-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Tomas L
Pro

My car weighs 2740 pounds.
An educated guess means your are EDUCATED wth sufficient information to draw a conclusion.

Even though my lighter weight reinforces YOUR point, it also validates mine, in that you look before you leap.
No, unfortunately for me that is to your advantage.
If we calculate this with 2740 lb + 235 lb = 2975 lb and with a speed of 92 mph then we get 397 rwhp which I do belive is possible with your modifications.
We should also keep in mind that peak power is not reached att 4200 rpm, my calculation gives an indication of the power at 4200.

If 3300 lb, 100 mph and the coefficient of friction that I used had been correct then the engine would have made 480 rwhp at 4200 rpm which would be well over 500 at higher rpm. Do you understand that I questioned this information?
Old 12-04-2004, 06:13 PM
special tool
Banned

I understand, but I don't like it.
Since you are objective, you will be the first to recieve via email, my next dyno sheet. There is a 0% chance that I will forget.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:19 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Tomas, the 490rwhp were numbers you are tossing around. Again, I'm having someone else dyno the kit and post results so people don't think something funny is taking place. Anyone that ever asked me about the dyno charts received the same response. Stage 1 kit was dynoed at 18-19psi. Stage 2 & 3 were at 22-24psi. I lost all of the dyno data after a disk crash, so I'm working from memory.

I guess the real power potential of the Stage 3 will be publiched when SpecialTool goes back to the dyno. Initial run was at 405rwhp/385+lb-ft.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Zackb911
Racer

John-
Any numbers and info for the redesigned Stage 2 kit? Im looking forward to your chips and as soon as I go over the car and make sure she can take it, I'll be ordering the Stage 2 come spring . I already have the money standing by:-)

Lutjen-
You will have to come to the next GTG come spring, is that Beast streat driven?

Zack
Old 12-04-2004, 07:52 PM
special tool
Banned

Zach - if you are consderng his stuff, you can come down and drive the stage 3, you might like it better if you are an R6 person.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Tomas L
Pro

John, just a couple of things I want to get straight before we move on.

Yes, the 480 rwhp figure was something that I came up with, but instead of saying that you didn't think that the car produced 480 rwhp you gave some speech with the meaning that people that questioned your power figures were narrow minded. How should one interpet that?

If I read the stage III dyno chart correct, top power was 446 hp.
The figures were produced at 22-24 psi.
Were there any other modifications to that car apart from the stage III kit a larger injectors?
Are that rwhp or fwhp?

Tomas
Old 12-04-2004, 09:45 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Man Thomas L, You got some serious free time! lol, I'm digging it though, keep going. hee hee
Old 12-04-2004, 09:53 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Tomas, I could not comment on the 480rwhp as I did not dyno the car. You were doubting that he got wheel spin and that's what I was referring to in my "speech". Also, I never called anyone "narrow minded" again these are your words.

The car at the time the stage 3 was dynoed had dual port wg, manual boost controller, 2.5" test pipe, 3" cat-back, 100 octane race fuel. The head was O-ringed and competition vlave job. Any other questions?

By the way Special Tool hit 405rwhp with clogged exhaust on a stock engine (he has an aftermarket cam). We'll see what the stage 3 does on the same engine soon.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:11 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The two Dodge Vipers that were at a local track I cornered also could spin their tires at speed. Problem was they just spun out and had to slow down to keep being black flagged. They were not all that fast on this short track. I guess it is all about what you want the car to do. I heard a good statement from a driver that helped me at VIR. He said an engine had a limited life in it, how fast you drained it determined how long it lasts.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:02 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

I Dont doubt your weelspin special. I also think your estimates on your power are very realistic giving your boost level and mods. You should be all over 430rwhp at that level. I am hoping for over 400 myself at around 23psi when I upgrade my turbo. Hmmm vitesse kits info just keep getting better and better. Ofcourse I need to be able to take the car to whoever is doing it for a complete retune and install...there in lies the problem. Dave said he could do my install and retune in one day's time. So I could literally drive the car up there early morning and have it done by the end of the day for the drive home. Hard deal to beat. We will see how things progress with my car in the coming months. I am very interested in your car and the new kit.

Please keep us informed. I will be calling you. BTW congrats homie!

Quick Reply: Sideways at 100 MPH