Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine is running cold? ~Low H2O Temp...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Zackb911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine is running cold? ~Low H2O Temp...

My new 951 has been running great and I definitly got a Great buy, but the operating temperature is very low. Its at the bottom mark while driving on the Highway and doesnt come up at all while driving. It will come to normal specs if the car is running while parked. The heat also doesnt blow hot unless parked so I know the coolant isnt heating up. Also the Turbo WP doesnt seem to come on after running the car which may be related. Is this one of the temp sensors? I'll try to get some pics of it up soon shes looking pretty:-)

Zack
Old 12-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Zackb911
Racer

P.S. I think this is since I gave the engine a good washing which could definitly contribute to messing up a sensor:-)
Old 12-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the temp sender, the one with the two spade connectors in between/under intake runners 1 and 2. The spade connector sensor is your engine temp for your gauge, the other sender with the blue connector is the DME temp sender.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thermostat in the water pump is either not installed or is stuck open.

The turbo cooling pump is controlled by a timer relay and a temp sensor. The pump should run for 30 seconds when ever the engine is started and shut down, and may run longer when the engine is "hot."
Old 12-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Zackb911
Racer

I dont think that switch cause the car to run cold I believe the car thats running very cold not the gauge reading wrong...
Hence the thermostat is looking like the culprit.
How can I check on the Trubo WP relay and sensor to find out why its not coming on after shutdown?

Zack
Old 12-03-2004, 11:34 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

While you are checking the thermoststat...dont forget the Turbo thermostat that is in the elbow on the front of the water pump.
My car would take a very long time to warm up on cold mornings, found out the turbo T stat was missing. After replacing it the car now warms up very quickly.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

It's a common problem that the thermostat is leaking due to a bad seat. The design includes a plastic seat in the bottom of the house where the thermostat seal. The seat gets damaged over time. It looks like it can't take the chemicals in the coolant. It's a low cost item but tricky to get at while the pump is in the car.
Bengt
Old 12-03-2004, 03:49 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The turbo water pump isn't coming on after shutdown because your thermostat is missing or stuck open and doesn't allow the coolant to heat up enough to trip the turbo water pump temperature switch.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Ground the little thermo switch on the turbo water pipe and see if the pump comes on then for about 30 seconds. If not, it's likely the relay - check that by grounding the thermo switch and probing the pump connector for voltage. If no voltage, relay is bad. If voltage, pump is bad.

Sam
Old 12-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Wait, are you saying its running at the first quarter mark? if so, thats normal... if your saying the bottom mark, these guys are right.
My car always runs at the first quarter mark, a tick below on highway, if its idling or driven hard, it will go a bit above that mark.
~Eyal
Old 12-03-2004, 04:38 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

My problem was a bad temp-to-gauge sender. That and air in the system caused the readings to be way off.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My temp gauge is typically on or slightly below the first mark, so I pointed an infrared gun at the area around the sender and read 91 C. All it took then was a re-calibration of my understanding of where “normal operation temperature” is on the gauge.
Up is still hotter and down is colder.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:06 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

I am certain the turbo water pump should run after shutdown for approx 30 seconds regardless of temparature.
The temp sensor is set at 115 degrees IIRC (its stamped on the side) so only starts the pump running when working the turbo hard.
Tony
Old 12-04-2004, 10:30 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
The turbo water pump isn't coming on after shutdown because your thermostat is missing or stuck open and doesn't allow the coolant to heat up enough to trip the turbo water pump temperature switch.
Sorry dude, that's incorrect. The turbo waterpump operates using the timer in the relay (G19 if i recall) regardless of coolant temperature.

Heck, even the manual states that to test the waterpump, switch on the engine, turn it off and to obeserve the waterpump (noise) and watch the coolant res.

Ever turned the car on and off when cold? the pump should come on.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:42 AM
j e f f x o 6 x
Intermediate

Not to jack this thread and sorry to revive it, but I have a similar problem with my temp also. I had the thermostat and water pump replaced by the dealer, and when the car is idling after driving it, the temp will rise toward the middle and evntually point right before the second line, then when you start moving or get on a highway, it will go below the first line. Even after a thermostat replacement, would anyone know why during idle the temp will go so high? I checked the fan fuses and they do turn on? What else could make the temp go next to the second bar line on the thermostat display?

Quick Reply: Engine is running cold? ~Low H2O Temp...