Loud tapping noise..

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 05:27 AM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still betting on belts.
When I had mine, I thought it was coming from the cap & rotor as well.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:32 PM
vogel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JDeitz951
If you have metal bits on the drain plug, your trouble is much more than rod bearings, since rod bearings are made of bronze, a non-magnetic metal.
Most of these types of rod bearings are knowns as "bimetal" or "trimetal" w/ a multilayer construction.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vogel, just have to go too far to prove your point, lifting a whole set of rod bearings :P
Anyhoo, for the lifters, try a bottle of ATF in the oil, warm it up, and change the oil. It helped quiet mine down.

As for removing the 3mm allen bolt, here's how I got mine out.
Wait until it's time to change the cap-rotor. Place a flat-head screwdriver behind the ceramic part of the rotor, against the cam gear, give it a little twisting/prying, and the ceramic part of the rotor will shatter. Grab the allen bolt with a pair of vise grips, and remove. Then pry the brass sleeve part of the rotor off, replace allen bolt and rotor.

Some have had luck hammering a slightly larger torx bit into the allen key, but I prefer not to hammer anything on the end of a camshaft, and I don't like hammering my torx bits.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:38 AM
K27
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say you have a broken or loose exhaust manifold stud, these can be really noisy. Easy to check too.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:36 PM
mochman
Pro

i had same sound was belt slap, not good if it breaks
Old 12-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have noticed wierd tapping noise coming front that region. I figure it is belt slap because the belt cover vibrates everytime I hear the noise, like it is being slapped. That being said, how do I make it go away? Is it just a matter of retensioning the belt? The belts are new(800 miles so far) so my dad and I are about to retension them anyway. Is belt slap bad for anything? I am kinda scared of it at this point(#2 rod bearing).

Tia/Sorry to hijack thread,
Eric
Old 12-11-2004, 12:25 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

I'm going to try and retension my belts today and see if that helps, I'll let you know Dash

Jeff
Old 12-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

This could be off topic... If you are running aluminum pistons (ex. JE aluminum pistons) When your motor is cold the pistons will rattle but once its up to temp itll stop. I am not sure if this happeneds with stock pistons but that could very well be your problem and it isn't any thing to worry about...

My 2 cents is to take it to a GOOD porsche mechanic (not dealer) and have him look at it
Old 12-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboX
This could be off topic... If you are running aluminum pistons (ex. JE aluminum pistons) When your motor is cold the pistons will rattle but once its up to temp itll stop. I am not sure if this happeneds with stock pistons but that could very well be your problem and it isn't any thing to worry about...

My 2 cents is to take it to a GOOD porsche mechanic (not dealer) and have him look at it
All the pistons are aluminum, and they shouldn't rattle hot or cold.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Piston slap generally occurs in engines with cast iron blocks and forged aluminum pistons. The reason is the differential in expansion of the different metals as they warm up. To get proper running temp clearance, the bores will be oversize for al pistons, and you'll hear the noise every time you cold start.

If it's belt slap, you better take care of it pronto, else we'll be hearing another sad tale of broken belts. Check the easy stuff first, belts. Take the cover off, make sure you have the updated water pump and the belts are tensioned correctly. Next, check the rotor button in the distributor. If those are ok, try the ATF and oil change trick to see if it's a dodgy lifter. If the ATF fluid cures it, don't go fixin' any further until necessary.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:20 AM
ivai
Burning Brakes

meh, I never got to the retensioning of my belts.. i think i'm going to just bring it into the mechanic who did my last belt change and get him to take care of it
Old 12-19-2004, 04:55 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So did you resolve the problem yet?

I had some tapping noise comming from the front of the cam housing today. After closer inspection it turned out that the dist. cap was loose and the rotor as well (minor play).

I took off the rotor screw (carefully) added a drop of loctite, put everything back and the noise went away...........hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:04 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Actually yes.. I took off my distributor cap and tried taking off the rotor, but the screw was stripped, and both looked like they were in decent condition... so i put it back together and the tapping was gone.. just to make sure i brought it to a mechanic and all the belts were tensioned correctly.. so *shrugs* its fine now =D thanks for the help guys
Old 12-19-2004, 11:41 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anytime
Old 12-22-2004, 11:22 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave951M
If those are ok, try the ATF and oil change trick to see if it's a dodgy lifter. If the ATF fluid cures it, don't go fixin' any further until necessary.

Can you give a little more detail on that trick??

Quick Reply: Loud tapping noise..