Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

keeping a ticket from going on record?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 05:26 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default keeping a ticket from going on record?

hey, i got picked up doing 89 in a 65, wasnt really paying attention because i was doing school work with my brother (he was doing the writing, i was just talking) and my sticky speedo was still sitting around 80. i need to start paying more attention to my tach. i accept full responsibility for it, it was stupid, but ive heard of people being able to have the ticket be not put on their record. how can i accomplish this? my premiums just keep getting lower and lower on my insurance (dropped 33% in the last 18 months) and im not ready for them to go back up.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:31 PM
PTskater944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not exactly sure if its the same in every state, but here in Kansas if you get a good lawyer and act really sorry in court, you can pay a extra fine and get the ticket reduced to a parking violation. Thats what my dad does anyways...
Old 11-29-2004, 05:46 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think if you go in front of the judge and ask him/her, they may still let you go to traffic school if you ask nicely. Usually the cutoff for traffic school is 20 mph over the speed limit, or a max of 85.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:47 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know in my area, you can voluntarily give your license up for a few months and get points knocked off... But our system is different that yours.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:45 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Every state is different. Here, you can ask for a 'Prayer for Judgement' and the violation will not be held against you. But if you get another within a certain time, then they both count.
You need to ask the DA or a Lawyer.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:43 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

You really need to get a good lawyer (mucho $$) . My friend(lawyer) got me out of a 155 in a 55mph( in my 911). It cost me his time, as a friend $1000. + 272 in court fees. not bad considering it was wreckless driving(criminal offense),can't drive for a month and $500 fine.. It was knocked down to un-reasonable speed.hee hee
Old 11-29-2004, 09:06 PM
d993
Racer

Yeah, I guess all states are different, but..........
Here in Georgia (and I've heard of other states that do the same) if you know your fine amount, and you can just mail in the payment, ALWAYS overpay by $10-$40. The department will then send you a check for the difference.
Just don't ever cash that check, and the ticket will not go on record until the charge is finalized. If you don't cash the check, it will never go on your record.
This is a fact in Georgia.
I have 6 or 7 checks that I received in the last couple years because I over payed! And my driving record is CLEAR!
Try, you don't have much to lose.
Of course, this is only if you're NOT required to appear in court.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:09 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

PS - that was in Connecticut, 95 north
Old 11-29-2004, 09:20 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp

Originally Posted by d993
Yeah, I guess all states are different, but..........
Here in Georgia (and I've heard of other states that do the same) if you know your fine amount, and you can just mail in the payment, ALWAYS overpay by $10-$40. The department will then send you a check for the difference.
Just don't ever cash that check, and the ticket will not go on record until the charge is finalized. If you don't cash the check, it will never go on your record.
This is a fact in Georgia.
I have 6 or 7 checks that I received in the last couple years because I over payed! And my driving record is CLEAR!
Try, you don't have much to lose.
Of course, this is only if you're NOT required to appear in court.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:57 PM
d993
Racer

Originally Posted by rhesus
Yes, I've seen that on the web as well.
I've personally done it here in GA, and IT WORKS!
I have the checks, I have my tickets, and I will obtain a copy of my driving record for all to see!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:12 PM
turbo8
Pro

here in nevada they let you go to traffic school ive been twice, first time was in the class room that took like 6 hours second time i was able to take it online which took me 15 min
Old 11-30-2004, 12:34 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

ok, so who should i talk to about seeing if its possible to keep it off my record, by any means possible?
Old 11-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Kesepton
Racer

Sorry, i might just be restateing what everyone said, but i dont really want to read it all, im too lazy heh.

Okay. here are your options in california.
-You can pay it. This adds points and insurnace premiums should go up
-Take class- If its been 18 months at least since your last ticket, you can do this, wont go on your record, you still have to pay a fee (usualy higher than the ticket) + the school fee. You still have your points though
-BEST OPTION: Contest ticket here is how (in cali at least)
- Written declaration. you can write in and send a letter to the court with your writen story. A judge reads it and sends it to the officer. They have two weeks to return their statement and the judge makes his statment. If the officer dosent write back, you win! But, if he does and you lose, YOU CAN STILL GO TO COURT!!! w00t.
- Go to court. 50/50 chance the officer will not show up. if he does, you can still win, maybe, if youve done your homework
- Lawyer. You can get a good lawyer. He will go in and do itall for you, you dont even need to show up. youll have to pay his fee of course, but most of the time, if he loses you dont need to pay him. But youll still have to pay the ticket + points + prems.

If you win in the latter, you dont get points, not on your record and you pay nothing, other than time.

I personally have gotten out of 5 tickets. Usualy stupid things like "not full stop." The police on campus hit people all day. I do come to a full stop and theyll still pull you over just to check you out. And, i said i had gotten out of 5, i have only gotten 5, all on that stupid campus.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM or what not. If you plan to go to court, ive got some more stuff to say. I feel im rambling now.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:35 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

yeah, ive been to court before and won (against a campus police bitch, at that!). but there's no contest on this one. i would never win. i just need to keep it off my record, even if it means paying twice the face value of the ticket.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:49 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Read my post. Panarama or my local Chicago chapter, had an article on how to beat any ticket. I can't remember where it was but, it was written by a lawyer and there was a way out of any ticket. It got in to the calibration of the guns, sending them in to be checked, logs of usage etc.. it was a big deal keeping the guns accurate.. I'd dig around. you need a big set of ***** but you can get off anything if you got the time and money..trust me.

Quick Reply: keeping a ticket from going on record?