Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Air to Water intercoolers, anyone used one on a 951?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 03:16 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air to Water intercoolers, anyone used one on a 951?

My buddy has an MR2 Turbo that hes been upgrading ( JDM Gen 3 engine, etc etc) and he recently bought an Air to Water I/C for it. His car is going to be down all winter (turbo upgrade, tranny work, etc) so im thinking about "borrowing" the intercooler setup to try it out on my car The I/C is a flat box with a port on each end for the inlet and outlet, then a water resevoir, pump, and heat exchanger all connected with hoses. What im thinking of doing is just hanging the I/C itself in front of the belt and hopfully all the hoses will fit past the AFM, or baring that mount it where the stock I/C is and putting the heat exchanger elsewhere. I will have to measure to decide. For ports for the diverter valve and such, just short sections of PCV pipe or similar with some barbed fittings mounted.

So has anyone used an Air to Water on a 951? I havent seen anyone with one in pics or sigs so im wondering...
Old 11-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Why add places for coolant to leak from along with all the associated plumbing? Not necessary.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about sometime in the future messing with it, its much more of an efficient intercooler. I read about one on a wrx feeding air with a temp at the intake ports of 40-45 degrees F
~Eyal
Old 11-25-2004, 04:44 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

I also have plans to try one. Efficiency is close to 100% and pressure drop is much lower since the waterchannels can be thinner than air channels. Also less risk of heat soak.
Bengt
Old 11-25-2004, 04:49 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt H
Why add places for coolant to leak from along with all the associated plumbing? Not necessary.
It doesnt use the cars coolant system, it has its own resevoir, electric pump, and heat exchanger...

Throw some ice in there too for good measure Or antifreeze to prevent freezing in the winter....
Old 11-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Danno
Race Director

The only downside I see to water-to-air intercoolers is extra weight and complexity. Efficiency is higher and you can drop turbo-outlet temps much closer to ambient temps. You can actually drop it below ambient temp even! I think that big space that opens up when you remove the air-box is a perfect location!
Old 11-25-2004, 07:20 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Danno
The only downside I see to water-to-air intercoolers is extra weight and complexity. Efficiency is higher and you can drop turbo-outlet temps much closer to ambient temps. You can actually drop it below ambient temp even! I think that big space that opens up when you remove the air-box is a perfect location!
I dont think the added weight would be overly significant depending on the setup. The windshield washer resevoir could make a good candidate, so all that would be added to the car would be the weight of the actual intercooler itself, the heat exchanger, the pump, and the extra water in the intercooler and hoses, but the car is minus the weight of the stock air->air unit anyway...

And I say windshield washer res. because its freaking massive, and the fluid would prevent freezing in cold weather anyway.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:01 PM
thesmokingman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
I was thinking about sometime in the future messing with it, its much more of an efficient intercooler. I read about one on a wrx feeding air with a temp at the intake ports of 40-45 degrees F
~Eyal
WRX's don't come with air-to-water. Some old school Subies did though. Nonetheless, the air-to-water units were usually swapped to an air-to-air unit when in search of real power.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:26 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I always wondered by someone didn't use the A/C compressor and condenser as part of the intercooler system.

Back when I had my 88 Turbo S I loved listening to the old school hot rodder at the local mom & pop porsche shop. He talked about super cooling the gas lines by running them thru a coil in the washer reservour filled with ice water or a mixture of dry ice and alcohol. He also talked about designing a system that dropped a sheet of dry ice on top of the intercooler. He liked the dry ice thing because it not only super cooled the intake air for about 10 laps, there was no evidence at impound. He also suggested a water sprayer that misted the intercooler, but not enough to drip anywhere. He was a mechanic on the Ford Shelby Cobra racing team way back when. There is not anything really new in hot rodding, every time I mentioned something he had a story about when he did that and more. He even cryotempered his own parts using dry ice and alcohol and this was in the late 60's and early 70's.

Lindsey Racing is working on a Thermal Heat Exchange Hard Pipe that would do what you are describing. It looks very promising. If you want to look at it they have some info up. Click on the Thermal Heat Exchange Hard Pipe link below the Lindsey Racing logo at lindseyracing.com.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:36 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
I always wondered by someone didn't use the A/C compressor and condenser as part of the intercooler system.

Back when I had my 88 Turbo S I loved listening to the old school hot rodder at the local mom & pop porsche shop. He talked about super cooling the gas lines by running them thru a coil in the washer reservour filled with ice water or a mixture of dry ice and alcohol. He also talked about designing a system that dropped a sheet of dry ice on top of the intercooler. He liked the dry ice thing because it not only super cooled the intake air for about 10 laps, there was no evidence at impound. He also suggested a water sprayer that misted the intercooler, but not enough to drip anywhere. He was a mechanic on the Ford Shelby Cobra racing team way back when. There is not anything really new in hot rodding, every time I mentioned something he had a story about when he did that and more. He even cryotempered his own parts using dry ice and alcohol and this was in the late 60's and early 70's.

Lindsey Racing is working on a Thermal Heat Exchange Hard Pipe that would do what you are describing. It looks very promising. If you want to look at it they have some info up. Click on the Thermal Heat Exchange Hard Pipe link below the Lindsey Racing logo at lindseyracing.com.

The unfortunate part about the Hard Pipes is the cost... Something like $150USD for 3 inches or something, wheres as a Toyota Air to Water unit that can be had for for like $150, then add a pump, hose, etc. Theres one unit that can support in excess of 400HP, which is fine for me since I dont have any plans for huge numbers from this car.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:06 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What do he Toyota parts look like and where would you put it? Will it fit?
Old 11-25-2004, 10:10 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
What do he Toyota parts look like and where would you put it? Will it fit?
I found the rough measurements for one, 16" x 9" x 3 or so". Would fit perfect hanging in front of the belt covers on a good mounting system.

http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/pics/icwrap.jpg
Old 11-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by thesmokingman
WRX's don't come with air-to-water. Some old school Subies did though. Nonetheless, the air-to-water units were usually swapped to an air-to-air unit when in search of real power.
Yes I know (I am very familiar with subies anyway)... It was a modified car.
~Eyal
Old 11-25-2004, 11:46 PM
thesmokingman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
Yes I know (I am very familiar with subies anyway)... It was a modified car.
~Eyal
Was it a black one you were referring to?
Old 11-26-2004, 12:42 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

I thought the sti had a i/c sprayer?

Quick Reply: Air to Water intercoolers, anyone used one on a 951?