Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Water is Swirling around the passenger side?? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 01:59 AM
89PorscheTurboMobile
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water is Swirling around the passenger side?? WTF?

Hello,

When I turn my car on, and start to drive around, I can hear water swirling/whoosing around the passenger side. What is this?
I've checked for water near the DME from a possible battery box hole, but nothing was there. What is wrong with my car?

ALSO, I noticed what appeared to be a water drain in the battery box, on the bottom, theres a drain that goes into the passenger side fender, does anyone else have this? What is it?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2004, 02:07 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

Most likely this is air trapped in the heater core. Turn the heater on full for a while while driving to remove it. Be sure to bleed the air out of the bleed screw afterward.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:11 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There's an AC condensor drain that goes down in the middle of the console back behind the radiator, but it doesn't often get clogged.

Sam
Old 11-21-2004, 02:13 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

I forgot to answer about the drain. It drains into the fender well. Be sure to keep it clear of leaves. there is another one on the other side, behind the fuse box.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:16 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as stated above - its probably air in the cooling system - it needs to be bled. check your temp gauge - does is jump around - quickly? thats when the air pockets hit the sensor. check the coolant level in the overflow tank as well.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Melchior
Pro

It sounds like your A/C drain hose is clogged. It is directly under the shifter beneath the car. You will have to lift the car to get to it. Kinda hard to see it since the torque tube blocks your view. Use a clothes hangar to unclog it; you will be surprised by how much water comes out. I wouldn't wait too long doing this since eventually you will start to get water on you passenger side floor mat.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:41 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

david - thats certainly one thing to check, but since he's hearing it i'd lean towards air in the cooling system. i've had the a/c drain hose get blocked, but have never actually heard the water sloshing until it pour out on the passenger footwell. every time i've ever actually HEARD the water sound, its been air pockets in the coolant.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:50 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

IF, I say again, IF it is the a/c drain plugged, two things.. eventually it will spray out the vents when you go full blast air, and then soak your glovebox and valuable documentation before it makes it to the passenger floormat. Also, the coat hanger from below is a temporary fix, you need to get that "S" hose removed and cleaned out, or that darn screw will drop right back into position and clog it up again.

ask me how I know!!

Quick Reply: Water is Swirling around the passenger side?? WTF?