Old 11-19-2004, 08:18 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Shifter foam question

All the foam down in the shifter hole has long rotted away and is missing. The problem with not having any foam down there of course is the noise that comes up through the shifter hole. Anyone have any ideas as to what i can use, or where i can get some foam that will stay down there? I have often thought about the spray insulation foam in a can, but am wondering if that would squeek against the body/torque tube with a little vibration down there.

Karl
Old 11-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used some home-use insulation that goes in walls.
Fumes don't come in, and the insulation can easily be manipulated and not lose it's form.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:28 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Karl: I have th exact same problem, insulation foam is torn away and i can hear the clutch as well as some road noises down there.

I was recommended to use the 'foam in a can', but we don't have it here. I was also recommended to use some sound insulation material you get from high-end music stores (again, not available here )

If you get your hands on some insulation foam from music stores, PM me because i like you to send me some
Old 11-20-2004, 09:14 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I run without the foam. Didn't notice any difference in noise with/without it.

Last edited by mwc951; 08-23-2020 at 05:11 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:54 PM
pieball
Racer

C'mon guys, use some regular seat cushion foam! What, 3-4" thick by about 12" long...
You'll never get it perfect, but I'm sure it'll work. Cut a hole in the middle and fold it over. Took mine out to fix the shifter and destroyed it in the process. If you take one out, you'll realize it's impossible to replace correctly with a new one! FWIW
Old 11-20-2004, 08:20 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well, i think i am going to be teh guinee pig and try spray foam from a can, lol, as for some reason touching foam foam, makes me shiver very badly (like someone running their nails down a chalk board). If it doesnt squeek too much, the only other problem is see is that when you go to do a clutch or other job that requires the torque tube be rotated, that all the foam would probably have to be removed.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:32 PM
pieball
Racer

You mean spay foam like Tuff Stuff in that yellow/red can? You can basically write off anything that stuff touches! If you ever have to get back in there for something forget it! You'll be scaping, cutting, sawing, sanding, burning, etc. forever just to get in there again. That's the last stuff I'd put in there. I'd love to hear your experiences when you're done if ya try it! LOL
Old 11-20-2004, 08:39 PM
pieball
Racer

You're kidding about the spay foam right? Why don't you really get freaked out and use a pair of rubber gloves while you install the foam.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:40 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That is my only concern with doing it, though the clutch has just been done.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:41 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dude, would i kid about something as serious as foam in a can?
Old 11-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Hoosier Daddy?
Racer

When you do the spray foam, do it in a plastic bag so the nasty stuff doesn't go anywhere you don't want it to. You know like how some things are packaged and shipped now. Oh, and I'm the same way with open cell foam isn't that wierd, noboby has ever believed me about that.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:12 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

If you are going to use spray foam in that area it might be a good idea to put a layer of Visqueen over the torque tube to keep it from sticking. You'll need a pretty solid plug in the shifter area also unless you want to carve the foam out from inside which would be no fun at all. A cheap bag of modeling clay would keep the foam from over expanding into that area. I bet a foamed tunnel, allowing room for clutch work, would also cut down vibes and noise considerably. Give it try.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't forget to leave room for the shifter rod to "move around" otherwise you may create the first manual shift with a "PARK" postiion.
BTW, I have a new 944 style foam block that I won't be using . . . first $45 takes it as long as I can ship USPS.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:46 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

Karl, DONT'T do it, you won't believe how much vibration it will transmit to the body, when that stuff sets up it is basically a solid. I had a customer's car in here a couple of years ago, it took a long timr to figure out what was going on, but the whole car vibrated like crazy. Much worse than out of time balance shafts. As was suggested, get some high density foam rubber and stuff it down there, if you take off the heat shield above the cat you may be able to put it in from below. If you do the foam in a can I can promise you will regret it.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:18 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lol, i will try shoving some foam down there sometime. With the stock porsche foam block, can you actually get that shoved through the small shift hole up top, that block seems really big?

Quick Reply: Shifter foam question