Old 11-27-2004, 09:02 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

and a bit more...

Originally Posted by Danno
We regroup at Alices, no motorcycles today, so we take over the parking lot:

Then we head down LaHonda towards the Pacific Ocean. Visibility improves somewhat as we're descending. Coming around one fast blind left-hander, an insurgent rock the size of a football (American) runs out into the road on a suicide mission right in front of me. Not having any time to react, I just run over the thing and I hear it thump, thump, thump as it works its way to the back of the car. I see it bounce up in my rearview mirror and launch towards the 968-Cab behind me! Luckily for me, it just hits them on the lower-front bump and does no damage. I'm not so lucky as a mile or two down the hill, I find I've got no oil pressure! Closer examination finds that the football-sized rock left a hole in my oil pan the size of well... a football!

Many people behind me said they felt wierd sensations in their cars. Some pulled over thinking they had gotten a flat when their back-ends just kinda slipped. Others weren't so lucky and one guy spun. The guy behind him managed to stop in time, but the third guy didn't and sandwiched him into the first.

Was the oil on the road to blame? Or was it the poor visibility? Or perhaps the water on the road? More insurgent rocks? No confirmed in-the-field reports at this time. There are allegations from recovery team who went back at great risk to secure the offending rock that the crash site was uphill of and before the rock-attack zone... More details from this CNN/FOX reporter as more participants return and we make up more stories about what happened. Stay Tuned!
Old 11-27-2004, 09:10 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm leaving in a few minutes to meet up with Danno. My spare oil pan is closer than his spare oil pan.

Sorry to hear about the mishaps along the way. Those who continued on found sunshine in Half Moon Bay. Some continued on to Joes in HMB (I think) for an extended party.
Actually that was a great Idea, it gave everyone more time to gab.

I'm thinking the next event should be more talking and bench racing. Maybe an indoor carting place or a PCA autocross or track event. There were a lot of people that we just didn't have time to meet and talk to. Sitting down to Pizza gave some of us time to gab on and on about how fast our cars thought they were and where that oil leak is coming from...
Old 11-27-2004, 10:10 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys, Dannos oil pan mishap was just the biginning and he was one of the lead cars. Remember the road were wet and and slick and the oil that leaked out did not give the rest of the guys/gals in the back any mercy. I almost lost control of my car in one of the turns because it was so slick and I was doing maybe 25 mph. The victims to the oil slick was Jim (White 951), Dmitry ((S2), and Ben (Black 951). In the same area where I almost lost control, Jim's car spun out and hit the side of the hill. R/rear damage and all the work we just finished in front had gone to waste. Front bumper, nose panel and power strring pump damaged. Ben was a few cars behind Jim and as he was braking he was rear ended by Dmitry as Dmitry was sliding trying to stop. I'll let Dmitry and Ben descibe their damages and go to more detail of the incident. All I know is I felt siccckkkk looking at my friends cars looking like that. Specially after the four of us spent all day on Friday working on our cars. I really feel bad for Jim. We've worked on his car for the last 2 months since purchase. We had just finished the project yesterday. This was the thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/162464-update-amazing-deal-on-a-951-in-bay-area-5k-for-an-88-951-w-59k-miles.html
Old 11-27-2004, 10:41 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I am really sorry guys ....
It was really good seeing everybody ..Albeit for 5 mins.
.I finally got to meet the guys from Sac.
At first I thought I was the unlucky one today......
My six year old son got car sick from all the winding turns and blew chow in
the back of the car. Thanks to David (ibdavid ) I was able to clean up most of it
I was about 5 mins behind everybody when a yellow car coming in the other direction( it looked like a kit car )was waving to me to slow down ....
Than I saw the mess ahead.
I think next time we should do a lot more talking and sharing war stories...
and then go for a drive ...
My heart goes out all who had incidents ...
Regards
Ed
Old 11-28-2004, 12:07 AM
CR
Instructor

It was quite the eventful day. Us guys from Sac had pooring rain almost all the way to Saratoga this morning. And half way there we stopped for gas where I realized I had a slow leak in the front right tire. Luckily Steve told me about "Fix-a-flat" in a can! Great stuff, no problems after that.

It was awesome seeing all the cars and meeting people. What a great turnout.

That oil thing was pretty trippy. I couldn't figure out why my car felt so light in the rear! I hope those that had mis-haps get things fixed without problems. The picture of that hole in the oil pan is crazy! There was a lot of oil on the road.

I ended up going to San Fransisco afterward by myself and went to the International Auto Show. It was really good. They had a CGT on display, the new Mercedes SLR McLaren, Ford GT, plenty of Ferrari's and Bentley's, all sorts of good stuff. Got home just a little while ago, around 7:00. Now it's time for nap!

Thanks all,

Chris
Old 11-28-2004, 12:34 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, just got back from meeting DanD halfway to pick up his spare oil-pan. I'm gonna pull the pan tomorrow and inspect the rod-bearing to see if they survived. If so, I'll put it all back together and be on the road back to Santa Barbara Sunday night.

I'd like to thank everyone for turning out and making this a great event! Thanks to Lutz and his scoobie gang for helping me out with the AAA tow. Lots of appreciation to Ryan for fetching that rock so I can torture it. Thanks for the oil-pan DanD Also many thanks to Ron who donated his garage in San Jose for me to work on the car tomorrow!

I agree with DanD, let's do a track gathering the next time. That way, we can really drive our cars the way they were designed. And also we'll have more time to hang out as well!

BTW - whoever ended up with the attendance-roster, please email me a scan? Thanks! -danno

Last edited by Danno; 11-28-2004 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:34 AM
Wrecksimple03
Addict
Rennlist Member

i say we make rock torture devices and dmitry ben jim and danno can take turns torturing it
Old 11-28-2004, 03:07 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Danno,

I have a spare oil pan gasket if you want it. Never used. --Tom
Old 11-28-2004, 03:20 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Tom,

Did you find out what was wrong with your car/
Old 11-28-2004, 03:32 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cas951
Tom,

Did you find out what was wrong with your car/
Yes and no... I got it running when I got home (after spending $17 for batteries for my ancient alarm-remote and a few bucks for fuses). It's running fine now -- as it has for the last 3 months. But, I have not found why it died in the first place. (I got stuck primarily because my alarm killed the ignition, and blew its fuse, and then my remote batteries died. Murphy was my co-pilot!) So, I'll try a new DME relay first and then start going through the electrics... The bigger problem is that I found oil in my coolant while poking around. So... I got some work to do.... AGAIN
Old 11-28-2004, 04:39 AM
Danno
Race Director

Thanks tom, I got one from DanD .

"bigger problem is that I found oil in my coolant while poking around. So... I got some work to do.... AGAIN "

Most likely the oil-filter housing seals. There's an inside and outside end to the short connecting tube that takes oil from the block to the oil-filter housing. Also a procedure to install it to avoid leaks as well. Otherwise, you end up with leaks...
Old 11-28-2004, 05:30 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

oil cooler seals?
~Eyal
Old 11-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Fix-a-flat will get you where you're going but it throws off the balance of your wheel (I wouldn't go high speed or very long on it). It also makes a helluva mess on the inside of the rim that needs to be cleaned off with solvent prior to mounting a new tire on there. Why not just use the self-inflating spare and the compressor? That's why Porsche provided them? They work just well (I've used mine) and will get you home just fine.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Danno
Race Director

Here's some more pictures:

Old 11-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I'd prefer it to be the seals....since I just did the head gasket....

I'll check it out today... leak down and compression anyway. I worry there will be no obvious signs pointing to the HG or seals... I can't help but notice the coolant level seems to be lower than last week...

Will excess blow-by cause the seals to fail sooner?

Originally Posted by Danno
Thanks tom, I got one from DanD .

"bigger problem is that I found oil in my coolant while poking around. So... I got some work to do.... AGAIN "

Most likely the oil-filter housing seals. There's an inside and outside end to the short connecting tube that takes oil from the block to the oil-filter housing. Also a procedure to install it to avoid leaks as well. Otherwise, you end up with leaks...

Quick Reply: NorCal Pizza Run Sat. 27-Nov.