Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The definitive fire extinguisher thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 08:20 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think extinguisher shipping will be difficult to the UK but I am interested in a mount, I keep my current powder extinguisher behind the seat and it could become a missile in an accident.
Tony
Old 11-29-2004, 03:43 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a roll bar in my car.. how easy would be to just get one of ogracing's extinguishers and make a mount for the roll bar myself? Has anyone had any experience with mounting one to a roll bar?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:15 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So you think a hundred dollars or so is expensive?
Spray some dry chem on your paint job and then run some oily fingers over it, take note of that effect. I sprayed my engine bay and managed to damage some paint on the rear end of the car.
Or if you dont like your interior spray some dry chem in there (coz you wont have that interior for very long). There is a reason that insurance companies write off cars that have had dry chem extinguishers discharged inside.
A 2.5lb bottle will suppress a fire for a short period of time but it depends on the severity of the fire. I got to mine within 45 seconds. The 2.5lb bottle did not extinguish the fire - it restarted due to other hot parts. Also consider that if your battery wiring insulation melts thru then you will not be able to shut of that source of ignition unless you have a kill switch. If your fuel lines burn through then you will also be in bad shape. In my fire the battery cables did not short (I had fibreglass sheaths over them) and my fuel lines did not burn through (there was still 30psi) of fuel pressure in the lines when the fire was put out.(I had fire braid on the fuel lines as well)

Quick Reply: The definitive fire extinguisher thread