Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Front turn signal question - bulbs ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 11:22 AM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front turn signal question - bulbs ?

My front turn signal lens got broken, and blew the bulb. I replaced the bulb with one from AutoZone, and it fits, but it's acting strangely.

Depending on how I insert it, I can get it to light up solid with the headlights on, or to flash with the indicator on, but not both. The one on the other side does both.

Do I need a special bulb for it to work properly ? I have my inspection coming up soon.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use the little computer that tells you which bulb you need? It sounds to me like you git a single filament bulb, but you need a dual filament one.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:58 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I just bought a Sylvania bulb at Kragen's and it worked fine. Sounds like you have the wrong bulb.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:03 AM
gilwong
Instructor

The 944/951 uses the same size bulb for several functions. They are #1155 (5 watt), #1156 (21 watt) and #1157 (which is dual 5/21 watt). For the front turn signal, you need #1157. Depending on the light manufacturer, they may use a different numbering system and you will have to cross reference the above stated numbers with their system.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:53 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

You may have put in a single filament bulb as noted, but if you did you must have wrecked something to make it fit. The dual filament bulb like the #1157, which is the one you want for the front, has staggered nubs coming off the base that hold the bulb in the socket. The nubs are staggered so you can only put the bulb in the socket one way and the contacts align correctly.

So you better take a closer look at what you did. If you wrecked the socket I think you have to buy the whole turn signal/running light assembly unless you can try and glue things back together.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:50 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I have a spare set of indicator housings that I picked up, but they were kinda rusty so I was holding off putting them in.

How hard is it to remove ? I've had the assembly loose, but then the cable vanishes into the bowels of the car. Can I just pull on the cable ? Is there enough slack to pull the connector all the way out, or do I need to disconnect it from behind the bumper ?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:55 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mroberts
How hard is it to remove ? I've had the assembly loose, but then the cable vanishes into the bowels of the car. Can I just pull on the cable ? Is there enough slack to pull the connector all the way out, or do I need to disconnect it from behind the bumper ?
I think the '86 turbo is the same as the later models but I don't know for sure. The housing has a wiring pigtail a little over a foot long that plugs into the rest of the wiring harness. I don't think there is enough slack to pull it out the front of the bumper to pull the plugs apart so you probably have to go at it from underneath. Left side should be no problem but the right side with the coolers is going to be tighter getting your hands up there.

Quick Reply: Front turn signal question - bulbs ?