Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

best boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 09:08 PM
FityOne
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried the Lindsey Enhancer, Black **** controller, Reliaboost and the Accuboost and I found the best one to be the Accuboost. Really solid and accurate and a hell of a lot cheaper than an EBC. simple and never fails. EBCs are nice, but not nice enough for my budget. Plus I have heard stories about EBC failing from time to time and causing overboost situations (these may just be stories...I have no first hand knowledge of this). Go with the accuboost as a simple and cheap solution to boost control.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Kesepton
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand that boost controllers allow you to control the ammount of boost put into the engine. But, is there a way to make it gradual? like staggered. So that (lets say youve got some super awsome turbo charger or something) you could set it up to boost like .5bar at 2krpm and then reach full boost around 3krpm. This way, you could dip into boost and get a good amount of torque without having to dump too much horsepower onto the rear and destroy some expensive items. If not, why?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Many of the nicer EBCs can set target boost by RPM.

Sam
Old 11-10-2004, 09:55 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

SBC-iD, very very happy with. Does EXACTLY what it is supposed to. Never overshoots, very fast build up.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:12 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

i'm interested in hearing also if anyone has any negative insight about the spec 2.

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
PK,

I "heard" the spec 2 doesn't work well (or quite right) with a DP WG. Any insight? I need to pick up another EBC so I can dump the MBC and want the simplicity of the profec b bit the gen 1 used is about as much as the spec 2 new.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:38 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

What can i say works great for me. When i bought it on EBAY i was bidding on a Profec-B used almost the same price as new profec-B-spec2.

I bought a used prefec-B on EBAY last year did not work, you never know what you are buying on EBAY.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

If you get a EBC and are that worried about it going out to have a overboost, you can put in a mbc as well, you just set the mbc to a few psi higher then you run normally that way you have that limiting the boost but it is a safe guard. For the price of the two, I choose a mbc. So what if I have to re-adjust it when the temp changes by 20 or more degrees, just gives me one more reason to get out of the house or work to tune the car!
Old 11-14-2004, 12:24 AM
944Willie
Instructor

For those who had, or are using, the AVC-R unit where did you mount it and how did you wire it up? I am thinking about putting mine in the cassette tray. I was going to leave some extra wireing in it so I could pull it out for easy access. I will install this and the Zeitronix unit prior to doing any mods. I am going to document the changes with the G-tech Pro. Before I can do this I need to wire it up, and hook up the things under the hood. Any suggestions in hooking it up and wireing it up will be appreciated. I got this last summer and have not had the time to do anything with it. I have a stock system at the moment (minus the cat).
Thanks
Old 11-14-2004, 12:31 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Do a search in this section of the forums, all the AVCR install info has been documented with wiring and diagrams. My electronics are all tossed in the glovebox, there's no reason to have them visible once programming is finished, it invites theft.

Sam
Old 11-14-2004, 12:54 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Willard - 15 posts in 3.5 years? You doing time or something, man?

I believe Willard migrated to this board late, like myself, from the mailing list.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:10 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Which is better? Good luck filtering the subjective from the objective. I have the profec B (spec 1) and have never had a problem with it. However I have to watch out when I disconect the battery because I believe it reverts to the HIGH boost setting rather then the low setting. Either that or my kids have been playing in the car. Either way, I knew it the first time I stepped on it to get on the highway. Also, that is probably a plus for the EBC. Multiple settings for your mood or... never mind.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

DME,

what kind of boost curve do you run and what wastegate and turbo do you have. I have an 86 wk26/6 and i am trying to determine if I need to go to an electronic boost controller because my boost goes from 18 down to 10.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:37 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kesepton
I understand that boost controllers allow you to control the ammount of boost put into the engine. But, is there a way to make it gradual? like staggered. So that (lets say youve got some super awsome turbo charger or something) you could set it up to boost like .5bar at 2krpm and then reach full boost around 3krpm. This way, you could dip into boost and get a good amount of torque without having to dump too much horsepower onto the rear and destroy some expensive items. If not, why?
If I understand you right, that's what the cars do stock, and everyone on this thread is trying to defeat..
Old 11-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kesepton

ALl the electronic boost controllers I've seen have some level of adjustment for how fast the boost hits. The super fancy ones like the Apexi can be programmed by rpm, gear, etc. But even the simplest electronic controllers have some form of adjustment. On my beloved Profec B (original), there is a **** called "balance" that controls how fast the boost rolls on.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

By the way, it looks like Profec B spec II may not be filling its market niche. It appears that Greddy is making the original Profec B again (now called the Type-S). I just worry that they are no longer using the big solinoid anymore -- and wonder if that was part of the original's magic.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/titanmot...ts/grprty.html

Quick Reply: best boost controller