Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My 951 Blew Up??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At about 125k-miles is when I replaced my stock K26/6 turbo. It had gotten worn to the point where under full-throttle, I could see a slight haze at night if there's someone behind me with their lights on. Definitely not as bad as yours. But I wouldn't think that it would wear out so fast that your car would go from not smoking to looking like it was on fire!

" I noticed that as soon as I let off the accelerator, it started smoking.. "

Ah HAH!!! This is the clue... Does it only smoke when you let off the throttle? This is a sure sign you've got a leak in the vacuum lines going to the FPR. The corners of the rubber Ts like to break and any one of the vacuum lines could've slipped off the T. That this does is the leak it creates sends insufficient vacuum to the FPR under closed throttle conditions. Vacuum in the 20in-hg range will decrease your fuel-pressure by 66%, thus you'll get only 1/3rd the fuel. Without the vacuum going the FPR, you'll get 3x the necessary fuel at idle, thus the start of the smoking when you let off the throttle.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:35 AM
Holson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really need to take care of that turbo after having it rebuilt. With my old MB diesel, I always drove it hard and just shut it off after a minute or two.

The turbo was original too at 200,000 mi.! - then again it made 130hp instead of 217 or so ...

definitely going to change the oil and buy one of those turbo timers or something.

in the meantime, back to reliable ole E420..
Old 11-30-2004, 03:34 AM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holson
I really need to take care of that turbo after having it rebuilt. With my old MB diesel, I always drove it hard and just shut it off after a minute or two.

The turbo was original too at 200,000 mi.! - then again it made 130hp instead of 217 or so ...

definitely going to change the oil and buy one of those turbo timers or something.

in the meantime, back to reliable ole E420..
You don't need a turbo timer for your car. All 951's have electric water pumps that circulate water through the turbo for 30 seconds or until the temperature reaches a specific value, whichever comes first.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:34 AM
Danno
Race Director

You've already got a built-in turbo-timer. The electric water-pump continues to run water through the turbo for 30-seconds after you shut off the car. Then if the temp-sensor shows the turbo's still hot, the pump will continue to run until the desired temperature is reached. You can even get a 20-degree lower-temp sensor from NAPA. I've come out of stores on errand runs and found my water-pump still going after 15-minutes. But most of the time, it's off in 5-10 minutes.

So check your turbo's water-pump, sensor and relay. If those components aren't working, you may end up with coking of the oil in the bearings, which is not good for the seals.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:38 AM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

too slow
Old 11-30-2004, 04:48 AM
Danno
Race Director

That's a fast draw ya got there, pardner...
Old 11-30-2004, 06:19 AM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

yeah, that's what she said

Quick Reply: My 951 Blew Up??