Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

boost control

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 02:50 PM
silverbullet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost control

I am confused about chips and boost contollers. If your chips are mapped for 15 psi, then why do you need a boost controller? Is it just a more accurate and safer way to make sure you are not overboosting? I was planning on getting a Linsey manual contoller when I get my Vitesse chips.
Thanks, Josh
Old 11-10-2004, 03:29 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

When somebody says their chips are "maped" for 15psi or whatever boost level, it means that the DME is programmed to put enough fuel into the chambers to keep good a/f ratios under that boost level.

Until you allow the motor to see that boost level though, it won't. A boost controller controlls the wastegate indirectly by varying the pressure source to it.

Bottom line: the boost controller makes the wastegate open later and allows the boost to see the motor. The chips compensate the fuel amount to keep the engine from detonating at higher boost.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:41 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The chips control the ignition and fuel. At 15PSI for a K26/6 turbo, the chips are programmed to know there will be X amount of air coming in, so they inject the corrent amount of fuel. Thus the turbo has to flow the proper amount at the proper PSI that the chips expect, otherwise the fuel rations go bad.

If the turbo only does say 12PSI, the chips are injecting fuel for 15PSI, so theres too much fuel, the engine runs rich.

If the turbo is doing 18PSI and the chips are injecting fuel for 15PSI, theres too LITTLE fuel, and thats when things go REALLY sour, as the engine runs lean and this is worse than running rich.

The job of a boost controller is to make sure the turbo puts out what its supposed to by controlling the wastegate, which is a large valve in the exhaust. When its closed the exhaust has to flow through the turbo (building boost), when the wastegate is open the exhaust gets a free-er flowing route past the turbo (boost drops). The stock boost controller is operated by the chips, or you can go to a Manual Boost Controller like the Lindsey one, or further to an Electronic Boost Controller.

The chips themselves will work with the cars stock boost control system to get the 15PSI, but upgrading to a better boost controller is a great mod.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:46 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theedge

The chips themselves will work with the cars stock boost control system to get the 15PSI, but upgrading to a better boost controller is a great mod.

Right, but in this case he is going for Vitesse chips so he would need to manually set his boost (at whatever level referring to the FQS switch), thus the need of a boost controller, right?
Old 11-10-2004, 04:03 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Right, but in this case he is going for Vitesse chips so he would need to manually set his boost (at whatever level referring to the FQS switch), thus the need of a boost controller, right?
I dont know if the Vitesse chips require a different boost controller...
Old 11-10-2004, 04:08 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

I would go with the reliaboost or the Accuboost MBC.
Its a better MBC in that there is a bleed hole to help with boost spikes.
The lindsey is mainly used as a 'enhancer' to work with your stock
controller.
Its best to bypass the stock controller and run the MBC right to the wastegate. IMHO

If you plan on 15 psi, you also need the 3 bar FPR.

Quick Reply: boost control