Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

gauge wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 01:35 PM
painkiller
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauge wiring questions

Hey guys, searched the forums for my questions and found some good ideas but nothing exactly like I'm doing. I have the lindsey gauge plate, vdo egt, boost, and oil temp. What I'd like to do is tap the stashtray lead for illumination and the radio power lead for the egt thermocouple power and oil temp sender power, then ground somewhere back there for all three. Anyone think there will be a problem with this setup or have any alternate methods? If anyone knows which of the three wires at the tray controls dimming that would be helpful. I know one is ground but there are two others, white w/blue stripe and solid blue iirc.

TIA guys, just joined and eagerly awaiting my rennlist membership # email....

PK
Old 11-05-2004, 09:14 PM
silverbullet
Pro

I need this info as well. Stashtray light could go to a much better use.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:25 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can pick up the illumination/instrument light(s) from the radio wiring. As far a the other power needs go, you can pick up switched power from DME wires 18 and 35. If you need power under the hood for a sender or probe, you can get it from the alternator or from the diagnostic port.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:59 AM
painkiller
Racer

Ski-thanks for the dme wire numbers. I thought I'd use the ashtray lead for the gauge lights so they would dim, although even after replacing all 16 or 17 bulbs in the cluster I still usually have the lights turned most of the way up. I'll tap one of the switched dme leads for the other power needs. Anyone got a recomendation on having a dedicated or shared ground? I hate crawling around under the dash and dont want to have to do it twice.

PK
Old 11-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its just for the grounds, hook them all together in series, install a good soldered end and stick under a brown wire that's bolted in. It would be a good idea to clean the one you take off too.

The radio has enough amperage in the circuit to do anthing you want. One of the wires back there is illumination/dimmer; use a test light probe. I'm not a big fan of vampire clamps, as I prefer to cut, install heat shrink, solder and then cover.

Quick Reply: gauge wiring questions