Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

smoking alot

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 11:47 PM
ian kam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoking alot

okay my new engine is smoking I was running rich for about 500km but no smoking until i got it back from the shop. Now after I drive around town for about a hour i parked and let it run at idle no smoke. I shut it off and 2 min later started it up and wow smokes alot again. Out the exhaust and the catch can filter. I have been told too drive it alot at non boost to get the rings to seal sure hope it works!!! Also i think the crankcase pressure is causing oil leaks great!!! I may go ona road trip and have lindsey work on this car over the winter..I'm getting tired of fixxing everything 3 times or not fixed at all !!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be your turbo seals are leaking oil, and as you turn the car off the oil settles then once u start her back up its spun into the motor...
Old 11-02-2004, 02:09 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

You might want to do a leak-down test to make sure it is not the rings, if that is ok then it could be turbo seals.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:19 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Since the catch can is getting lots of oil, I'm thinking the rings did not seat as the mixture was overly rich. When there is lots of crakcase pressure (due to rings issues), the turbo may not drain and will flood. I think once the rings are seated, the problem goes away.
The smoke problem started after the engine rebuild, while the turbo was used prior to it without any smoke problems.. Of course there is a possibility that the turbo has gone bad at the same time as the engine rebuild...
As suggested, a leakdown test will provide lots of information.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What oil did you use in the engine after the rebuild, for break in purpose?
Old 11-02-2004, 05:27 PM
ian kam
Racer

well I finaly got this car to run abit leaner adjustments lower the fuel reg to about 40lbs and opened the throttle screw alot now all i hear is air going through pipe. I still produce smoke out the catch can and see smoke when I open up the oil cap. not sure if it smeels of fuel or not. Coolant levels are good temp is fine was just running very rich!!! Took it fo another one hour drive drove well but the odd time at idle stuples for a second and then is fine. So I may just keep my fingers crossed and see what happens. still have the odd backfire in mid range rpm comming of throttle and back on. Hmmm. I will get a leak down test down soon
Old 11-02-2004, 06:28 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Ian, most likely your AFR is way off and might be on the lean side. Stay off of boost for a while till you get the rings to seat. Don't worry about fine tuning now, you can do it once the rings are fine...
The popping noise is more than likely intake backfire to a lean spot.. As long as you are not way too lean, and as long as you are at idle and PT (no WOT runs, no boost) you should be fine for the break in period. Let's keep our fingers crossed... Do get a leakdown after 150miles or so...

Quick Reply: smoking alot