Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

would a 16v head bolt up to the turbo block?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 08:31 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would a 16v head bolt up to the turbo block?

is it possible?

would there be any performance increase from doing this? i thought that the smaller 16v valves would flow at least as well but port speed might be up since they are smaller ports. is this worth anything in a turbo application?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:39 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The head from the a 2.5l 16v engine (944S) bolts up.
But the stock 951 intake and exhaust manifold won't fit without modifications.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:39 AM
alexands
Pro

I think Chris White (search) is doing this right now. I don't know all of the science behind it, but it seems to be the logical next step. Here's a beast that Lindsey has worked on http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...TCARSBOBHOWARD

My only concerns would be in the head gasket area. I don't think a 951 headgasket would fit, and I'm not away of a wide-fire type of HG for the 4 valve head.

Sorry I don;t have any facts to share, but this is something I've been considering as well.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:43 AM
phlip
Racer

I have a 944 s2 based 3.1 liter 16 valve turbo engine in my car and the difference in the upper RPM ranges is huge.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:06 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Cometic will make a custom head gasket for this application, its defiantly the way to go for the 16v turbo set ups.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:14 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris, it would be really nice to see some of this progress on your website with info - that you don't find proprietary .
Old 11-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

have to apologize about the web site…..no changes in the last 3 years!!!
I need to get in there and make some major changes/updates but its still track season – going to VIR this week end and then I can do some ‘administration’ stuff.

The 16v project is going pretty slowly, these things can get a little depressing. The block is not a problem, I have had the sleeves, pistons and such for a year. I have one set of the SFR stainless headers/crossovers/downpipes that have been modified for the GT35R turbo (I will post some pictures of those soon). The second set (4 into 1 version) for the race motor is still being finished up.
I have been running through CNC shop after CNC shop in my quest to fab up the intake manifold – I am going to run a single throttle per cylinder set up, I have had the throttle bodies for over a year. The first CNC shop was excited about the project and we met many times. I put together a CAD file of the rough set up and then the shop decided that it was a little too much for them. I am looking to get some head flanges made up and then weld together the rest.
The heads are up in Canada with Markus and I am currently contemplating the $1200 for the Ferrea valve train (each head)….The cams have been modified for the belt drive and the profiles have been recorded. Now they ‘just’ need to be hard welded and reground.
My plan is to get one of the engines up and running on the engine dyno by the end of winter. For those of you that have never contemplated what it takes to bolt up a turbo engine to a dyno – what a pain in the butt. You need the intercooler, most of the exhaust, wastegate and such installed (without the stock supports in place)!

I guess nobody said it would be easy….
Old 11-01-2004, 12:13 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dualblade - in light of the flywheel stuff and this ( I am building a 16v mech lifter 2.5, and I even have an extra 2.5 S head), I would say definitely give me a ring. I am not that far away from you, either.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

special, got any more info on the mechanical lifters?

Quick Reply: would a 16v head bolt up to the turbo block?