*WOW* at Profec A! One weird problem though

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004 | 03:06 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alpine951
Hey,

I have a mechanical boost controller. Where can i find out the benefits/ advantages/disadvantages of the Profec/electronic boost controllers?... Here? I don't know squat about about them.
Search for Profec or "EBC" and thatll turn up some its.

For other guys, is there an ideal way of getting this thing to learn? The ""manual"" or what passes for one anyway, says do a third or fourth gear pull with it in P1 mode till it flashes. In this mode the wastegate is wide open, so it only makes 0.1 or maybe 0.2 bar of boost. I didnt want to pull to redline too much without it boosting so I only did one or two pulls like that. The 0.1 bar flashes, and then I can switch it to P2 learning and do more pulls and then its done.

Im wondering if im supposed to start at 2k rpm and go WOT till redline or what? Is there any sort of specific trick to this? The manual is the lamest pile of crap ive read in a while.
Old 10-27-2004 | 01:34 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bump?
Old 10-29-2004 | 03:56 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theedge
For other guys, is there an ideal way of getting this thing to learn? The ""manual"" or what passes for one anyway, says do a third or fourth gear pull ...
IMHO 4th gear is better, unless you don't have the space to do a full run(redline). in P1 it will learn the W/G spring, it should go to the boost the spring is set at. what W/G you have? also it learns the turbo's boost curve. in P2 you need to do the run EXACTLY like the first one and set the max boost you want. i usually start at 2500. it depends on the turbo or response of your car. i have a K27/8. the profec is allways learning and it changes a bit every time you do a full throttle run after a couple of times it stabilizes until you change something and have to do the process again. hope this helps a little
Old 10-29-2004 | 06:20 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cantresjr
IMHO 4th gear is better, unless you don't have the space to do a full run(redline). in P1 it will learn the W/G spring, it should go to the boost the spring is set at. what W/G you have? also it learns the turbo's boost curve. in P2 you need to do the run EXACTLY like the first one and set the max boost you want. i usually start at 2500. it depends on the turbo or response of your car. i have a K27/8. the profec is allways learning and it changes a bit every time you do a full throttle run after a couple of times it stabilizes until you change something and have to do the process again. hope this helps a little
K26/6 with the stock oringinal wastegate. Ill try to get it to relearn tonight or tomorrow hopefully, gotta head out to someplace to redline fourth...

Thanks
Old 10-29-2004 | 08:19 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theedge
K26/6 with the stock oringinal wastegate. Ill try to get it to relearn tonight or tomorrow hopefully, gotta head out to someplace to redline fourth...

Thanks
This is exactly why I ditched the APexi. How fast is redline in 4th?

I can't train a dog, let alone a little black box...
Old 10-30-2004 | 06:07 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Around 130 redline in 4th but I tend to look outside at that point,
Tony
Old 10-30-2004 | 11:37 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
This is exactly why I ditched the APexi. How fast is redline in 4th?

I can't train a dog, let alone a little black box...
Im not opposed to going fast, thats one reason why I bought this car in the first place

Later on down the road ill get something else, but I got the A dirt cheap (about $100CDN, I think they go for about twice that on ebay) so im fine with it for now.

I might do several training runs, see if it learns different in third than fourth... Depends on time free. Couldnt do any runs last night since I got a chip in my windshield from some crappy roads on my commute, didnt want the cracks to spread to the point of $200 deductible for a new windshield... Not that id overly mind, id get to screw my insurance company since a new one is a hell of a lot more than $200CDN
Old 11-02-2004 | 09:23 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Does the Profec/EBC compenstate for weak wastegate?
Old 11-03-2004 | 07:11 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
Does the Profec/EBC compenstate for weak wastegate?
Itll do a pretty good job of it.

Quick Reply: *WOW* at Profec A! One weird problem though