Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

possible 951 purchase (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 02:58 PM
CBR1000RR rider
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible 951 purchase (long)

hello all - this is my first post here after browsing these forums for a few months. I'm big into cars and cycles and have always loved Porsches. Have never owned one though. Ever since the 951 came out I've always wanted one, I had a small poster of a red one on my wall when I was a kid, I think I still have it somewhere. It was an ad that folded out and said impossible and it had a side profile of a red 951.

So, enough of the back story, I have a good job and I'm not getting any younger so it's getting to be time to make some of these dreams come true. My question is this: is the 951 a good sports car to own, not as a daily driver but as a weekend use, occasional daily driver? In reading the threads on this site there seems to be a recurring theme, and that's maintenance issues. Now I know that even if I got a '89 it would still be a 15 yr old car. But if I found one that was meticulously maintained and had a thorough PPI done and kept up with all of the routine maintenance would I have a car that I could use reliably w/out worrying about it breaking down? There are a few very clean ones on Autotrader right now for around $10k. I realize everyone on this site loves Porsches or they wouldn't be here but I'm looking for unbiased feedback, if you had it to do over again would you buy one of these cars. Or has it been such a headache that even though they're great cars they're not so great to own.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling thread! And thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:14 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have bought one personally. But then again all my $ went into modfying the car, and it seems everytime I have done so, another problem arose as a result. With the amount of money I spent on my 951, I could have easily bought a newer vet, or a Boxster...
-Randy
Old 10-21-2004, 06:07 PM
alexands
Pro

If you like to tinker, and work on stuff, they're a good deal. It's not just a car, it's a commitment of money and time. I LOVE THE CAR!! BUT......I bought mine to race because they do make very good track cars, however, getting an 18 year old car track worthy has been more expensive than I ever imagined. I wouldn't do it again just because now I have the car ready to race, I can't afford to race it because I spent it on the car.

In fact, if you're serious about buying a top notch 951 with NO mechanical needs (new engine 250 miles ago) that has all updates and full racing suspension I'd sell you mine. I have over $25K in it, but would make you a hell of a deal!

Scott
Old 10-21-2004, 07:21 PM
seanbrowning
Advanced

Its not cheap, but if you make a good initial investment, buying one with LOTS of record and ANY mods that are better than stock with low mileage you'll be better off. I've heard of people that do 60miles a day on them, but you just HAVE to maintain the car. I would guess 75% of all problems could be avoided, or repaired at less cost if caught through good maintence. I drive a 944 N/A and not only do my dad and I work on it, but we have a veteran porsche mechanic look at it regularly. In the past 5 years the only major jobs were a large engine maintence and the clutch(which was costly but considering the stock had 115,000 miles on it, not too bad ). It is most definetly an investment in time and money, but the feeling you get from knowing that you are driving not only a car, but a work of art is more than worth it in my reasoning.
My advice, look for one with low mileage, 80-130k with maintence such as a head rebuild and suspension, things that tend to need replacing around that time. And don't get suckered into that 6,000 dollar deal, you'll spend WAY more that way. Good luck! I'm still searching for mine, you're not alone.

PS, If you want a sportscar to drive a sportscar, DO NOT BUY THE 951! Get a newer car and enjoy it with less maintence. If you want a 951, buy a 951. THEY ARE NOT CHEAP!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you do any work yourself? It makes a huge difference in the long-term cost of the car.

Sam
Old 10-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I love mine, its a great car, with great perfomance, and great quality... Things break... OK fine, i break things, and sometimes the car is out of commision, like right now, I pulled the head and its getting modded, should be fun when its back... I bought the car thinking I could pull of daily driving it... don't try that, its only a good daily driver about 70% of the time... Needless to say I'm looking at nissan 240 SX's right now, and will bring home the first good one i find, and I think I found one.
I don't regret the purchase, and I look forward to further modifying it, and getting some track time in this car.
Would I do it again? depends what mood I'm in... but then again, its worth all the time and effort, but a second time around you might be inclined to try a new challenge, as a 951 would be treaded territory, so you will get a flawed answer to that question.
~Eyal

Quick Reply: possible 951 purchase (long)