Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

'Dieters Motorsports' Shift rod repair/mod...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004 | 10:40 AM
RPG951S
Racer

Thumbs up 'Dieters Motorsports' Shift rod repair/mod...

Just thought I'd share; did this repair/mod last night. My shifter has NEVER felt good; even a new shifter/bushings/shimming and all sorts of crap later, still felt like crap.

Did the aforementioned repair/mod (now riding on plastic bushings), and let me tell you, the difference is amazing! Smooth, lighter, faster shifting with nearly no play whatsoever. Actually takes a little getting use to, shifting is so light and nice now.

In fact my shifter now has less side/side slop in 1st/3rd gear than a NEW 997 (on the showroom floor) I saw yesterday! How'd you like them apples!

If ya can't tell... I'm a believer.

Here's the link:

Dieters Motosport Shifter Repair
Old 10-21-2004 | 10:54 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Why couldn't you tell me this before I spent $750 replacing tranny-forward on mine last week?
Old 10-21-2004 | 10:58 AM
Zackb911
Racer

Ryan people did mention this last week when you said you were going to drop the tranny.... We were all wondering what you were thinking:-)
Old 10-21-2004 | 11:16 AM
RPG951S
Racer

BTW - I was able to 'do' the repair with the rod still in the car.
You have to remove the usual shifter stuff + center console (2 screws on the side, 2 in the back of the tape holding area), then just move the whole thing (including the radio) over and out of the way.

With a pair of vice grips keep the rod from 'falling down', I was able to drill out the hole myself. However, my 14v cordless drill was not strong enough; I had to use a chuck adapter with my impact gun.

It's tough to keep the outer bushing in place when you push the shifter pin back in, but a C-clamp did the trick. I also had to 'trim' a bit of the outer edge of the bushing (also could have filed down the width of the rod) to get the circlip back on.

In any case, took less than an hour. If I had to do it again, maybe 30 mins.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 10-21-2004 | 11:27 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

I've done this on my 2 cars and twice on others cars. I feel it's the best easy fix by far. Mine has held up over 16 months with no increase in slop. Everytime I see a 'shifter slop' post I refer them to the Dieters site. I didn't even have to pull the console or anything, I just padded it well and cut a slot in a towel and slipped it over the shift rod end to catch the cuttings.

Ryan you were informed about this repair but went ahead anyway with the tranny drop.

Quick Reply: 'Dieters Motorsports' Shift rod repair/mod...