Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best way to clean up before new head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 02:32 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to clean up before new head gasket?

Time to start putting everything back together...
Since the exhaust manifold was toast - it literally fell apart - I'm replacing the HG. One of them fancy Cometic ones. From the looks of the intake tracks and squish area it looks as if the PO may have had a valve job done recently. Either way, someone must have used super glue to seal the HG and cam tower gasket.
Is there a preferred method of cleaning that crap off?
I did a search - not much help.
Right now I'm using a 3M Scotchbrite pad and gasoline - this to prevent scratching the sealing surface. It's working, but it's a lot of work. There's got to be a better way.
Yes, I know shaving/maching the head would work, but I don't have a machine shop I trust. I believe machining should be done only when/if really needed...
Help !
Old 10-19-2004, 02:38 AM
daniel951
Race Car

there was small pieces of gasket that was stuck to the camshaft which i just used a razor blade to take it off. then i got a wire brush and cleaned everything off. After everything i put copper spray for the headgasket and so far no Problems.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:54 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mitch, there are some new pads that look like rubber tentacles on them. They look harmless but when you put that thing in a die grinder, man they can take some gasket material off quick. I'm sorry I don't have the name for them but you should be able to find them at any automotive high end paint store; very similar in style to Scotchbrite pad but underneath they look rubber ****. You still making the trip this weekend?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:59 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TTW296.html

3M Roloc bristle discs are what you need. I haven't used them myself, but that is what Ski is talking about. I have heard they work very well and they are gentle.

Max
Old 10-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link Max; yes that's what I was talking about. Work great and yes, they are gentle to the aluminum.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:15 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

Thx for the input guys - just what I was hoping for.
I looked for the Roloc, but no luck. I went ahead and finished the cylinder side by hand with the scotchbrite. Ugh! Everything else I tried left tiny scratches and I do not want leaks. The rest of the head I cleanened with a small wire brush on a hand drill. It works very well and actually left no scratches either. I just wasn't quite as worried abt the rest due to the use of softer gaskets and sealer. BTW I've had excellent luck with a product called Hi-Tack, by Permatex, I think. It's great for areas like the cam tower gasket...
Another question - how do you clean the deck surfaces on the block, with the engine in the car w/o getting crud into every part of the motor?

Ski, I was hoping for last weekend actually. The 930 needs an inspection. I can't get it done until I get the W/S replaced (little crack is now a big crack) and it has to be ordered... Wasn't Homecoming last Fri?
Old 10-20-2004, 02:59 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I found a “Gasket Remover” spray can at the local parts store (Kragen). It worked quite well for me.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mitch, homecoming was last Friday night. My 5yo carried the football during the ceremony. Maybe some other time for a road trip.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:08 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

well,just me again,resurecting an old thread(im not the type to start a new thread).whats the best way to clean the head and black surfaces?BUT with the block still in the car?i figure it'd be kinda scary to use a scrapper or sanding disc and have all the particles falling into the block.TIA
Old 11-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Nothing worse than a machine shop you can't trust, but once you find a good shop, I would not hesitate to have the sealing surface machined flat and clean. If the head is straight, you can get a fresh new sealing surface without taking off hardly any material/thickness.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:36 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

I found a razor blade (recommended by Chris White), it is the type used by painters.

It is a very fine blade, it is actually made for removing paint spills from glass. It worked just fine removing the gasket materail from the camshaft housing mating surfaces.

Quick Reply: Best way to clean up before new head gasket?