Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

~800miles and 4qts of oil!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 11:42 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation ~800miles and 4qts of oil!

Greetings, there is about 1800miles on the 951 engine since the rebuild in 1997. I bought the car after the rebuild early this year and I was told there was a little over 1000miles on the engine at the time. I also spoke to Bill Dougherty from Dougherty's Automotive in West Chester, PA who did the work, but I do not have any real specifics. I have put about 800 miles on it since getting it on the road here Labor Day Weekend. The PO had taken it down to Watkins Glen for some DE events which was about 6 hours round trip for him. I varied the rate of load and rpm while tuning the TEC2 on it when I got it on the road recently and kept boost under 1 bar(0.6-0.8bar) for this 800miles.

Here is the prob, I have gone through 4qts of oil since then and it does not leak one drop! I do not know the if the turbo was rebuilt or not, but it at max has only ~31k orig miles on it which is what the chassis has.

I started by using Amsoil Series2000 20w-50 in it, and I think there was Regular Mobil 20w-50 in it when I got the car because there was a quart in the rear cubby when I bought it.

There is no smoke pouring or even visible out the tailpipe at various speeds now, but it was running too rich when I began the tuning which let out excess fuel smoke. If the turbo was mistreated and is worn, wouldn't it throw smoke out the exhaust? The IHI RHB6 is oil cooled only via a Mocal cooler.

Should I switch back to a DINO non-detergent oil?? Or do I have to re-hone and re-ring?

Compression check when cold (I think it needs to be warm, but I figured this would depict the worse of the 2 tests) was:
cyl 1: 162psi
cyl 2: 159spi
cyl 3: 151spi
cyl 4: 162psi

I have not however performed a leakdown test though. Any home procedures?
BTW I did read through some past threads and read some proper breakin procedures by motorcycle techs posted in those threads.

Thank you for any help and insight!
Old 10-17-2004, 11:55 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Checked for milkshakes I assume?
Old 10-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply Brian, no milkshake though...coolant is good and clean. Dipstick comes out looking good as well, except for the part where I have to add oil all the time.

Quick Reply: ~800miles and 4qts of oil!