Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Knock Indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 02:42 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No the Link Knock Block has a 3.5 plug fitting so you can plug in any headphones to listen for knock. Which is very obvious, I tried one out the other day, picking one up next week or this weekend, but i have to get my new clutch setup from SFR here before I can tune. You can configure the sensitivity of the knock with the unit itself. Its very impressive I am going to mount an extension into a dash blank so I can hide it all and plug it into the socket entension. It is a very cheap kit to! The gauge is pricey, but its flawless in terms of disply and quality.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:06 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when the strip turns blue, you've knocked. er. oops. nevermind rennlist+beer. doh
Old 10-06-2004, 11:24 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Would this indicator reach its own conclusions about when the engine is knocking, or would it flag those events that the KLR/DME deems a "knock" for purpose of the ignition timing? I think there are options out there for the former, but the latter would be unique I believe.

Good question. The KLR filters the signal from the knock sensor then decides when knock is taking place, as well as the intensity/duration of the knock. Based on this information, it retards timing...

I am aware that there are many knock sensing systems out there. However Porsche did lots of work on the knock filtering mechanism Unique the 951. I am not inventing the wheel here, I'm using the work that Porsche did and adding to it (displaying it).

The factory has a preset value it uses to retard the timing. We will be testing the new DME/KLR code in order to change the amount of degrees the timing gets retarded in case there is knock.

Quick Reply: Knock Indicator?