Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tial Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 02:51 PM
oi-punx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tial Installed!

I got my new Tial 38mm wastegate installed yesterday afternoon after spending about 5 hours getting the old one, with 82k miles on it, out of the car. Efren (Cas951) and I ended up having to cut all four factory studs off with an air saw in order to slip the factory unit off the crossover pipe. It also didn't help that the discharge pipe was frozen to the old wastegate and had to be soaked in PB blaster and hammered off.

The new Tial bolted up in about 40 minutes or so and that included double checking all the bolts and securing the new boost line the banjo bolt on the wastegate....very simple procedure and no mess or fuss with lining up pipes.

What a difference between the stock unit! She hits 12 pounds of boost in 1st and holds 15 in all the other gears (full boost in the mid 3k rpm range with noticeably less lag than before). Previously I was getting about 14.5 psi in 4th or 5th only. I must say that 12 psi in first is a bit on the violent side.

I am aware that you cannot use the factory wastegate hanger with the Tial. I am wondering though; has anyone who has installed one of these wastegates been able to secure the discharge pipe side flange to the torque tube with the single bolt (13mm I believe). This single bolt would be quite helpful in bracing the pipes. I could not get this bolt lined up even with all the pipes loose.

Efren and Dmitry; if you guys are reading this thanks for all your help yesterday!
Old 10-03-2004, 08:15 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Good job i have been running my tial wg for three years now with no hanger not one problem. What you might want to do is check you're bolts after a few heat cycles, they will loosen a bit.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:45 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Ben not a problem at all. I look forward to these little projects we work on. 5 hrs of labor? That seems a little long. I thinkwe had it off within 30 mins after we returned. Anyhow, I e-malied you earlier today. I need some info on the wastegate you have. Jim wants to buy one too. We ordered the chips today.We're doing this again on Saturday. Will you be coming?

We'll be working on Chips, Wastegate, Diff fluid, If the parts arrive in time.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:53 AM
oi-punx
Racer

PK,

Yes I plan to check the bolts after a few heat cycles. I have heard of some folks modifying the stock bracket to work with the Tial, but honestly don't see how it can fit down there. Quite a few people seem to have no issues. The Tial with adapters isn't exactly light but we'll see what happens.

Efren,

I started right at 9 when you guys left and we didn't get it off until about 1 or 2 so that was a pretty rough estimate on time. Had I actually realize that the hanger bolts need to be held with a box end 13 mm wrench on the back side I would have got the bracket unbolted much sooner. It's tough to see what is going on up that far. That frozen discharge pipe also made things much more complicated than necessary.

See you this weekend.

Quick Reply: Tial Installed!