Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

German Autobahn

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hinch951
I know for instance, you cannot pass on the right, so people rapidly pass, then get back over in the right hand lane, but what was your overall feel, experience?
That's how it's SUPPOSED to work over here too. Too bad so few people know it.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:54 PM
hinch951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peckster: I hear ya on that one!!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:55 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peckster
That's how it's SUPPOSED to work over here too. Too bad so few people know it.
Eh, don'tyou have to take a test to get your drivers license?
Old 09-28-2004, 07:16 PM
hinch951
Instructor

yes, you have to be 18 years of age, and about I heard 4,000 US dollars/equivalent money in Germany. It is pretty serious over there. Imagine having a road like that here in the US, we have too many idiots out here. They consider it a "honor" to drive in Germany, and everyone there is exteremly serious about there driving. That is why the Germans said that they could never understand why we had cupholders, cause driving requires 100% concentration all the time....Makes sense to me!
Old 09-28-2004, 10:16 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Im sure most of their drivers dont eat burger king, do make up, talk on the phone, read books or w/e else that american drivers love to do while driving. Also Americans drive alot more than Europeans in gerneral.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Last year I flew into Munich rented an Audi A4 Avant 1.8TDI (1.8 liter, Turbo Diesel), drove to Italy (for the 40th anniversary of the Lambo factory) visited family in Denmark and flew out of Munich again, essentially driving through Germany twice.
As it turns out the 1.8TDI was cruising happily at 200kph and had a slightly uncomfortable 230kph top speed, which I briefly tried once. I think I filled up the tank only twice.

The new Autobahns in formerly East-Germany are wide and with little traffic (at least when I was there).
The Germans have also nailed Autobahn repair down to a structured event with well posted speed limits and diversions to the opposite half of the Autobahn.
If you run out of gas the police will give you 5 liters of gas and fine you 200 Euros for endangering the traffic (and lack of planning). Ordnung muss sein.

Laust
Old 09-29-2004, 11:04 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Azaka
On Modern Marvels on the History channel they did an entire show on the Autobahn. It was a good show and had a few Porsches in it. You should look for that somewhere and watch it. It had a lot of good info.

i was going to mention this too. its an excellent show, you can get it here. ive seen it like 8 times
Old 09-29-2004, 11:24 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Another thing that is interesting to know of is the sign language, the most used on is when you are in the fast lane closing in to someone doing a lower speed in the right or mid lane but is catching up to slower traffic. If the guyyou are catching up to lights up his brake light that means that you are being let by.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders
Another thing that is interesting to know of is the sign language, the most used on is when you are in the fast lane closing in to someone doing a lower speed in the right or mid lane but is catching up to slower traffic. If the guyyou are catching up to lights up his brake light that means that you are being let by.
I see what you mean but usually the driver brakes as he is getting closer to a car in front and knows he is not fast enough to overtake said car without having you braking hard on his tail.

I once had a case of a slow VW driver on the right lane who put the turn signal on the right to "tell" me he had seen me and that I could overtake him with being sure he had seen me and that I should not worry (too much) about driving much faster than him.
(I certainly don't get such admirable behaviour in France )
Old 09-29-2004, 03:34 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

http://rmv.hqusareur.army.mil/drivrman/190-34.htm
try this link out, it explains laws and regulations in operating your pov in germany
Old 10-02-2004, 11:14 PM
hinch951
Instructor

thanks alot!
Old 10-03-2004, 06:37 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll have to throw my 2 cent in. I recently took the european driver's test. Unlike the standard test in the US, it's very difficult. Over 90% of the peole who take it fail on the first attempt. Of course this is reflected in the maturity level of most drivers on the Autobahn and other German roads.

Ztnedman1 was right. You don't see many people doing anything but driving the car when on the road. There can be huge speed differences between cars in different lanes on the Autobahn - you have to pay attention what what's going aon around you - pilots call it situation awareness. Something we need more of in the states.

A couple other facts - the German police can (and will) force you to submit to a blood alcohol/urinalysis test if they suspect you are imparied - something to avoid. And when speed limits signs are posted on the autobahn, everyone slows down - even the guy smoking along in his A8 will slow right down to the posted limit until past the restricted area - most drivers seem very disciplined that way. If you happen to be in a rental car and get your picture taken for exceeding the speed limit - the authorities will send the ticket to the rental agency and they, in turn, will charge it to your credit card - ask me how I know...

Chip
Old 10-03-2004, 07:58 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chipster
I'll have to throw my 2 cent in. I recently took the european driver's test. Unlike the standard test in the US, it's very difficult. Over 90% of the peole who take it fail on the first attempt. Of course this is reflected in the maturity level of most drivers on the Autobahn and other German roads.

Ztnedman1 was right. You don't see many people doing anything but driving the car when on the road. There can be huge speed differences between cars in different lanes on the Autobahn - you have to pay attention what what's going aon around you - pilots call it situation awareness. Something we need more of in the states.

A couple other facts - the German police can (and will) force you to submit to a blood alcohol/urinalysis test if they suspect you are imparied - something to avoid. And when speed limits signs are posted on the autobahn, everyone slows down - even the guy smoking along in his A8 will slow right down to the posted limit until past the restricted area - most drivers seem very disciplined that way. If you happen to be in a rental car and get your picture taken for exceeding the speed limit - the authorities will send the ticket to the rental agency and they, in turn, will charge it to your credit card - ask me how I know...

Chip
Well, first of all there is no standard "European drivers license". All countries have their own set of rules. Within the EU there is a possibility to exchange your license from one EU-country to another if you change your living address for more than six months.

Regarding people sticking to the speed limit when it drops I don't seem to have driven on the same roads as you have. I find that the speed is often lowered somewhat but with most germans I have spoken the attitude is more that you can drive faster if the traffic situation is good.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:35 PM
autounion1
Intermediate

A little history as well, the autobahns were made to transport Hitler's trucks and military vehicles. As such, he made them out of concrete. They are extremely durable and very smooth. They require very little maintenence and are said to be the best material of any highways in the world. Most people travel in packs, so it is not uncommon to see three or four Mercedes shotting down the highway at very fast speeds. From my experience there, Mercedes-Benz dominate with Audi coming in a close second. James
Old 10-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Swedeboy
Pro

Originally Posted by autounion1
A little history as well, the autobahns were made to transport Hitler's trucks and military vehicles. As such, he made them out of concrete. They are extremely durable and very smooth. They require very little maintenence and are said to be the best material of any highways in the world. Most people travel in packs, so it is not uncommon to see three or four Mercedes shotting down the highway at very fast speeds. From my experience there, Mercedes-Benz dominate with Audi coming in a close second. James
Errr..very smooth? Have you driven on a concrete autobahn lately? The joins between the concrete plates are often not smooth at all.

In terms of best material in the world...that's debatable - for example during rain concrete causes a lot of spray which you don't get with more modern open asphalt types.

Quick Reply: German Autobahn